Question / Help Listen to video in OBS while streaming?

Heidi Hornlein

How can I listen to the video in OBS to understand when it is about the end and to activate a new source?
Listening in Youtube is always long behind and not a good hint when to change things in OBS.
Thanks for the answer
heidi

Narcogen

Settings > Advanced > Audio Monitor

Edit > Advanced Audio Properties

Set the sources you want to hear to "Output and Monitor".

For this to work, you will need an audio device to send output to that is not the same as your default output if you are capturing that default output-- so either a separate hardware interface, or a separate virtual device created by SoundFlower, iShowU, LoopBack or similar.

Heidi Hornlein

Settings > Advanced > Audio Monitor

Edit > Advanced Audio Properties

Set the sources you want to hear to "Output and Monitor".

For this to work, you will need an audio device to send output to that is not the same as your default output if you are capturing that default output-- so either a separate hardware interface, or a separate virtual device created by SoundFlower, iShowU, LoopBack or similar.

Thanks for the answer. my interface in advanced settings doesn't give me the choices you talk about. I inserted Multioutputdevice instead of Default, but nothing happens, the video plays without me hearing it. I chose the MUltiautputdevice in Soundsource, hoped it would work, but didn't.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-17 at 11.53.16.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-17 at 11.53.16.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 273

Narcogen

I am referring to two separate things that must be done.

The first is shown in your screen shot. Under "Audio Monitoring Device" you must select the output device you will use for listening. (This needs to be separate from your default output device if that is a device you are capturing from. If you don't have a separate device, you'll need third party software like Voicemeeter to provide a virtual one.)

The second is available in the Edit menu, in the Advanced Audio Properties submenu. You can also get to it by clicking the gear icon in the mixer pane. That pane shows you all audio sources in your scene, and has pulldown menus for each one, the options for each will be "monitor off", "monitor and output" or "monitor only".

Heidi Hornlein

Thanks a lot,
I have Soundsource, voicemeter didn't work on Mac when I bought it some years ago. Is that what you mean with third party software?

KAIBENSON

Hi Guys
Long time before i tried to begin a discussion about this here. Mostly i work very fine with obs but the Problem in mobile live workarounds with the audio routing possible for now is that you not able to listen to the stream output not using the monitor output. In most situations i´m working for, the stream output is the master signal i would be interested in. The monitor signal normally goes into the recording booth or stage to give the actors a chance to listen to the program without e.g. microphone signals residing in the booth or on stage. I have to hear these signals to control the final mix but the actor not.
Same situation is zoom discussions online with obs. Its very hard to make a proof signal routing in obs itself to prevent feedbacks in
hurry situations. My opinion would be just a selectable output feed isolated from this two busses or even better a insert point before the
encoder section of the audio mixer output built in.
Sorry for my poor english, but anyway obs is a straight forward quality proof tool. Right on
Thanks for that in advance.

Kai Martinkovic
@Alpha Postproduction Munich Germany
kai@kaikai.de