Latest Release (27.1.3) Does Not Work w/ Game Capture!

ThirtyIR

I updated to the latest release of OBS (27.1.3) and Game Capture does NOT work no matter what game I play. In other words, I can't stream because OBS doesn't capture the window of the game I'm trying to stream! It's very frustrating and using "Display Capture" kills framerate and I don't want to use that anyway.

How do we fix this? Is there a fix for this?

If I want to go back to an older version of OBS, what is the proper way to do that without losing my settings?

Here is my Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/fHt2TGFC57EFL9lr

Sean123

same thing happening with me, Very frustrating, Tried every option available on the internet at this point. 6 hours on from when i started

ThirtyIR

Yea. The weird thing is this is happening on ALL 3 of my PCs! So it's not a one-off issue either. Definitely something with the latest update that has caused this.

Can anyone from OBS chime in?

ThirtyIR

Update: Here are the things I've tried to no avail.
  • Reinstalled OBS from scratch (i.e. deleted user settings folder and created new profile with Game Capture as only source)
  • Rolled back OBS install to older versions - tried two different versions - 27.1.0 and 27.0.1
  • Removed graphics driver completely with DDU and reinstalled latest Nvidia driver
None of it works - OBS does not capture the game (i.e. does not 'hook' into the game) when using Game Capture as a source.

This is highly irritating so can someone from OBS please help?

koala

If the game you're trying to capture uses some kind of anticheat software, it might be necessary for the game provider to update their anticheat to include the signature of the new OBS version to allow capturing the game again. As long as this doesn't happen, you need to use the previous OBS version or use display capture - display capture should work regardless of anticheat.

Harold

There is also the extremely likely possibility that you're running a conflicting program that is actively blocking OBS from game capturing the game.

ThirtyIR

This turned out to be true - I've always run MSI Afterburner to monitor the stats (GPU/CPU temps, clocks etc.) and NEVER had an issue with OBS showing the OSD and using Game Capture. Somehow, after this latest update with OBS, that has broken and Game Capture only seems to work if I close MSI Afterburner (and RTSS) completely.

I wonder if RTSS and/or MSI Afterburner need to be updated after the latest OBS update - I'll post on the Guru3D Forums as well to let them know of this issue.

However, I am now able to use Game Capture without MSI Afterburner so at least it more or less works.

Thank you.

There is also the extremely likely possibility that you're running a conflicting program that is actively blocking OBS from game capturing the game.

boahs

This also affected me on the most recent OBS build. The log file would constantly produce "Trying to hook...failed" logs when using game capture. Window/Display not using any sort of hook would work fine.

The only fix I found was to downgrade to a previous working version (for me that was 25.0.4) and now game capture hooks fine.

I have no idea the reason and don't have the log files anymore as I must of deleted them accidently when removing the new build and installing the older build.

Harold

This also affected me on the most recent OBS build. The log file would constantly produce "Trying to hook...failed" logs when using game capture. Window/Display not using any sort of hook would work fine.

The only fix I found was to downgrade to a previous working version (for me that was 25.0.4) and now game capture hooks fine.

I have no idea the reason and don't have the log files anymore as I must of deleted them accidently when removing the new build and installing the older build.
The better solution is to not have software installed that conflicts like afterburner or rivatuner. Downgrading leads to other problems.

Neusaric

The better solution is to not have software installed that conflicts like afterburner or rivatuner. Downgrading leads to other problems.
The better solution is to fix the problem that was created while allowing everyone to continue to use their PC the way they have for as long as they have. There was never a conflict with MSI until this recent update. As this problem is also affecting me, I for one, will just use the version that works.

Harold

The better solution is to fix the problem that was created while allowing everyone to continue to use their PC the way they have for as long as they have. There was never a conflict with MSI until this recent update. As this problem is also affecting me, I for one, will just use the version that works.
Except that there WAS historically conflicts with afterburner AND rivatuner before this, and it has to do with how they inject themselves into the game.

Neusaric

Except that there WAS historically conflicts with afterburner AND rivatuner before this, and it has to do with how they inject themselves into the game.
The people in this thread didn't seem to have an issue before, and I never had in the 6+ years i've used OBS. Atleast for me, when i've used something for that long and suddenly there is a conflict after one of them updated, it's the fault of the one that updated and introduced the conflict.

AndUFailed

True, if we erase humanity, none of the problems above will ever be raised, so why wouldn't we start eating our babies now?