Question / Help Laggy/choppy videos after stopped recording (playbacks)

riptide

I've just started using obs to record some small stuff here and there, although i have noticed that while recording the preview is smooth running at 60 fps and is fine, but after stopping the recording and checking it in it's folder i can barely watch it as if it was running on 3 fps, i have been looking for a fix the last couple hours and tried many settings and still haven't found a fix

log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/EG3jr5KmBZ7zMZhW

Narcogen

Your 2nd attempt in this logfile shows significant encoding lag:

18:28:16.583: ==== Recording Stop ================================================
18:28:16.583: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 277/929 (29.8%)

1080p60 at CQP 15 is overloading your card. Adjust some of the parameters; decreasing either resolution or framerate can significantly reduce load. You might also try higher CQP values.

18:12:32.762: YUV mode: 601/Full

Change that to 601/Partial or better yet 709/Partial. You're increasing load and decreasing quality.

Narcogen

14 is pretty high, 23 is "good" quality. That's usually the suggested range.

The lower the value, the higher the quality and the larger the file.

However it is my understanding that resolution, framerate, and profile have a more dramatic impact on encoder load.

riptide

i have another question, is mp4 or mkv better? i know you can change it to mp4 from mkv but it takes a longer time, so is which is more viable/optimal?

Narcogen

MKV. Remuxing to mp4 is fast.

If you record directly to mp4 and anything untoward happens that interrupts recording, the remaining file is unrecoverable.

riptide

ok thanks, i was also wondering whether replay buffer had anything to do with general recording settings?

Narcogen

I think the replay buffer uses the same settings as the general recording, but it doesn't affect recording if it's not on.

riptide

thanks, and also what are some suggestions you have for the rest of the settings for mkv formats like preset, profile, look ahead and PVT, gpu, the interval(seconds, 0=auto) and max B-frames

riptide

after doing some recordings it still hasn't improved that much only by like 10 fps so it now runs on like 20, but for some reason it still shows the preview at a smooth 60 and in game is 144 stable

riptide

10:44:34.542: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 63/10098 (0.6%)

this is the encoding lag percentage although the difference in the output of the video is much higher where the video plays at like 15-25 fps

Narcogen

When you say "the video plays at 15-25 fps" is that what your media player is reporting, or is that what it looks like to you?

What player are you using?

riptide

sorry for the late reply again, i've been pretty busy lately, but it looks like the video is playing at low fps, but thankfully after just leaving obs for a day and not using it, i tried it and it worked, i don't exactly know how but it did, thanks for the help and the suggested settings you gave me (they improved the vids)