Question / Help LAGGY AND CHOPPY FOOTAGE

Ajahdiel

Hello,
I am new to OBS and PC world, i am trying out recording just to make some vids and possibly stream one day, but i am getting really choppy and laggy footage, the audio is fine but its just the footage that is bad. here is what i have in specs for my pc
  • CPU: 4GHz Intel Core i7-6700K (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 4.2GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 (4GB GDDR5 RAM), Intel HD Graphics 530
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 dual channel (2,133MHz)
  • Storage: 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD (7,200 rpm)
i have watched a few vids and changed some settings but its still not any bettter.

https://hastebin.com/abodogewap

this is my last activity log, please let me know what i need to do to have good footage, that isnt so choppy and laggy. please let me know what other info you may need.

koala

The log you posted does not match the specs you posted. The log was generated on a Core i7-7700k and a GTX 1080. Is this really from your machine?

If you want an analysis of the recording of a choppy video, make sure the recording attempt is included in the log. To accomplish this, perform the recording, then quit OBS, then start OBS again and then upload the last log file instead of the current log file.

Ajahdiel

Thank you for the reply. I just googled the Pc I bought and put up what the site had. I have a prebuilt acer Predator g6. I will upload the correct info you asked concerning the activity log later on as I am going to work right now. I must have pulled up the wrong specs, my fault I should have read it carefully. It is full 1080 and according to my friends a really top notch pc that should be able to run all this just fine. So maybe my settings just aren’t set right.

Ajahdiel

Thank you for the reply. I just googled the Pc I bought and put up what the site had. I have a prebuilt acer Predator g6. I will upload the correct info you asked concerning the activity log later on as I am going to work right now. I must have pulled up the wrong specs, my fault I should have read it carefully. It is full 1080 and according to my friends a really top notch pc that should be able to run all this just fine. So maybe my settings just aren’t set right.

The log you posted does not match the specs you posted. The log was generated on a Core i7-7700k and a GTX 1080. Is this really from your machine?

If you want an analysis of the recording of a choppy video, make sure the recording attempt is included in the log. To accomplish this, perform the recording, then quit OBS, then start OBS again and then upload the last log file instead of the current log file.

Ajahdiel

https://hastebin.com/ifotunidit

im hoping i did it right,its look a bit better but still having some issues.

Ajahdiel

or here is another one, sorry for all the replies, just want to figure out whats wrong

https://hastebin.com/zoqamicefu

koala

- use Game Capture if you want to record a game
- limit the fps of the game you want to record (within the game)

If you only want to record and not stream, use a quality-based rate control and not CBR. The best automatic setting is to switch to simple output mode, and in the "Recording" part of the window choose "Indistinguishable Quality, Large File size" and as Encoder "Hardware (NVENC)".

And don't start OBS again if it is already running.

Ajahdiel

How would I get that game capture to work? For example whenever I set that and click on Fortnite I just get a blank screen. I will do the settings and change everything like you said

- use Game Capture if you want to record a game
- limit the fps of the game you want to record (within the game)

If you only want to record and not stream, use a quality-based rate control and not CBR. The best automatic setting is to switch to simple output mode, and in the "Recording" part of the window choose "Indistinguishable Quality, Large File size" and as Encoder "Hardware (NVENC)".

And don't start OBS again if it is already running.

masonmyerss

How would I get that game capture to work? For example whenever I set that and click on Fortnite I just get a blank screen. I will do the settings and change everything like you said
What worked for me is clicking the program on the desktop, click properties, go to compatibility, and enable run as administrator. Make sure you click apply. Re-Run OBS and try to click on Fortnite and see if it works.

NygelTerns

hello there if your having a black screen in game capture make sure the mode is in capture any specific window and select the game and open the game if the mode is in capture any fullscreen application the game needs to be fullscreen