Question / Help Lag fps drops with obs open. Windows april update

K4TTO

Windows updated yesterday to the april update 1803.
Now when I open OBS and for example csgo my FPS drop to 90/150 without obs open is 350/400.
Game feels terrible like everything is slow.
Yesterday before the windows update everything worked flawless.

This problem happened before with another windows update and someone on the forum tweaked the get-graphics-offsets until OBS update it. Can't find that tweaked file anymore.

Things I tried:
Disable full screen optimizations for obs and the game.
Reinstall OBS.

YorVeX

Got the exact same problem with very similar FPS metrics. Yesterday before the update everything was fine, now after the update it's unplayable. Also, it might show like 70-90 FPS but feels more like 12.

I am using OBS 21.1.0 64 bit. Not encoding the stream but sending it out with NDI to be encoded on a different PC.

As usual it was reported during Insider phase, acknowledged from an MS employee and then MS was like "who cares about customers, we'll release this anyway...".

Minecraft doesn't seem to be affected, it's running on 1150 FPS without OBS and 900 FPS with OBS and the graphics also don't feel laggy. I also wanted to test Sea of Thieves but it's broken since the upgrade, with or without OBS (doesn't show any texts and I cannot leave the main menu whatever button I press).

Note that W10 1709 always had the problem for me that after 2-4 hours of streaming and gaming CS:GO would become laggy. Despite having high FPS it would skip frames for half a second and even ignore mouse movements during those lags. Everything was perfect when I started the stream and then slowly degraded during the next hours. I read that 1803 was supposed to fix some of these things and correct poor memory management (e.g. the infamous standby memory issue) which was why I thought I'd give 1803 a shot in the first place. But surprise, surprise, it's just another W10 feature update that messes everything up.

Last edited:

CandyTwistaYah

So as of April 30th (Monday) my OBS classic and Studio has been dropping from 60 FPS to 10 FPS. (randomly gauging on 7 - 16 FPS) and today I guess it's doing better with 21 FPS.

Reading into the relevant issue dated around my own I found that Windows 10 might be obstructing proper functions with its NEW update. what I hear is that the issue is in windows 10, your GPU, and maybe even with OBS and how it handshakes with both your OS and GPU. How I found out is by waiting 30 hours to see if it was my ISP (internet service provider). so I blame the new windows 10 update on April 30, 2018!

I partially fixed it, if I can even call it a partial fix. by looking up my 1080 Ti Nvidia Drivers and (Clean installing) it from advance options. after that my OBS was gauging at 36 - 37 FPS.

so from what I understand so far is that I need to wait for a windows 10 patch, or gather more info on how I can get it back to 60 FPS.

switching to 30 FPS stream cap only makes my fps gauge at 3 - 7 fps. so keep it at 60 FPS to get the most.

I'm not claiming to have fixed the problem but it's a response that I hope helps ease your stress. Good luck finding a better answer tho!
After

YorVeX

The good news is that the "go back to a previous version of Windows 10" feature works flawlessly. Within 5 minutes I was logged back into my system with the old build and the FPS issues are gone now (only Sea of Thieves is still broken, hopefully a reinstall can fix that).That's also my recommendation for everyone with that problem - you only got 10 days after the update to do this so better act fast.
Instructions here in case you don't know how.

I did some timedemo tests in CS:GO (always with the same graphics settings and the same demo file), here's the full list:
  • W10 1709 without OBS, after fresh reboot: 364 FPS
  • W10 1709 with OBS, after fresh reboot: 319 FPS
  • W10 1709 with OBS, after 7 hours of playing and streaming: 216 FPS
  • W10 1803 without OBS, after fresh reboot: 245 FPS
  • W10 1803 with OBS, after fresh reboot: 95 FPS
The new build without OBS is barely faster than 1709 with OBS.

This means this problem is not only relevant for streamers using OBS, the FPS also drop significantly in CS:GO without OBS being involved. However, without OBS it was still playable and feeling fluent on the new build.

Last edited:

K4TTO

The good news is that the "go back to a previous version of Windows 10" feature works flawlessly. Within 5 minutes I was logged back into my system with the old build and the FPS issues are gone now (only Sea of Thieves is still broken, hopefully a reinstall can fix that).That's also my recommendation for everyone with that problem - you only got 10 days after the update to do this so better act fast.
Instructions here in case you don't know how.

I did some more timedemo tests in CS:GO (always with the same graphics settings and the same demo file), here's the full list:
  • W10 1709 without OBS, after fresh reboot: 364 FPS
  • W10 1709 with OBS, after fresh reboot: 319 FPS
  • W10 1709 with OBS, after 7 hours of playing and streaming: 216 FPS
  • W10 1803 without OBS, after fresh reboot: 245 FPS
  • W10 1803 with OBS, after fresh reboot: 95 FPS
The new build without OBS is barely faster than 1709 with OBS.

This means this problem is not only relevant for streamers using OBS, the FPS also drop significantly in CS:GO without OBS being involved. However, without OBS it was still playable and feeling fluent on the new build.
Thanks for adding so much information :D I did a clean install of windows and the problem is better now, I noticed if I open obs and csgo, then alt tab csgo and back in, my fps are normal but still feel laggy.

I think the problem have something to do with the way obs hook or capture the graphics

K4TTO

I Found a fix for this! You have to set your fps to 30, if you set them to 60fps it will bug and lower csgo fps

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Game capturing any games that are using Direct3D 9 (this includes CSGO and many other popular titles) will run with memory capture (slow) due to changes in the update. We're working on an update for OBS to resolve this.

You can check your OBS logs to see if you are affected by this, it will say "using memory capture" if it's affected.

xsmashx88x

Game capturing any games that are using Direct3D 9 (this includes CSGO and many other popular titles) will run with memory capture (slow) due to changes in the update. We're working on an update for OBS to resolve this.

You can check your OBS logs to see if you are affected by this, it will say "using memory capture" if it's affected.

is there a eta for this few days? weeks? months?

Marvin Saelens

I've had that problem too. If you have GeForce NVIDIA you have to disable the overlay that worked for me. You can search on youtube how to do that. I hope it helped.

K4TTO

Actually yes it says memory captured sucessful

It give me this error with league of legends and csgo d3d9_shmem_capture: GetRenderTargetData failed (0x88760868)
¡

xsmashx88x

We have a temporary workaround until we can release a full update to address this:

1) Download the updated files here: https://obsproject.com/temp/get-graphics-offsets-win10-1803-signed.zip

2) Close OBS if it is currently running

3) Unzip the files to C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\data\obs-plugins\win-capture

4) Re-launch OBS

instead of massive drops it went to two and stayed there this is helping alot so i can deal with 2/3 missed frames hopefully full update comes soon

K4TTO

lesJJ

Hey! At first, since the latest windows 10 update im also having huge FPS drops in CS:GO, Ironsight and any other most likely CPU related games during streaming with Streamlabs OBS. I know that this isn't the real OBS, but I also think it should matter and maybe related? Someone already found a fix for this problem?

KUSTi

I have the same issue, places where i get ~450 fps without obs open, i get like 200 fps with obs open