Question / Help Lag fps drops with obs open. Windows april update

BattleCrap

Update to 21.1.2, the auto updater is broken so you'll need to redownload from www.obsproject.com , it fixes it. Make sure to delete the old game capture source once its finished updating.

Fixed an issue with the new 2018 Windows 10 release (1803) that would cause game capture to perform poorly on Direct3D 9.0c games.

EpicLPer

Even with the latest 21.1.2 update this isn't fixed. My GPU usage stays at around 30-40% in game but OBS drops down to less than 10FPS at times and slowing the game down too. OBS reports that the encoder is overwhelmed but my settings were never an issue before, so I guess this isn't fully fixed for now.

Then again that Windows update introduced so many new problems it's insane... Even Chrome freezes from time to time so I guess it's on Microsoft's side to fix this sh*t.

DNR

Even with the latest 21.1.2 update this isn't fixed. My GPU usage stays at around 30-40% in game but OBS drops down to less than 10FPS at times and slowing the game down too. OBS reports that the encoder is overwhelmed but my settings were never an issue before, so I guess this isn't fully fixed for now.

Then again that Windows update introduced so many new problems it's insane... Even Chrome freezes from time to time so I guess it's on Microsoft's side to fix this sh*t.

I've been having this exact issue since last monday

YorVeX

Probably not related to this update then. Even before the update problem there where other things that caused this issue, that's probably what is happening for you.

Open your latest OBS log in \OBS Studio\config\obs-studio\logs with a text editor and search for a line saying: "d3d9 memory capture successful" (without the quotes). If you find that line then that's what is slowing everything down. Try to see what it says right before that, it might be an indication what is causing OBS to fall back to the slow memory capture method.

If it's not this it can be hundreds of other things, in that case it's probably better to open your own thread about it and post your full logs there so you can get help specifically for your problem.

DNR

Probably not related to this update then. Even before the update problem there where other things that caused this issue, that's probably what is happening for you.

Open your latest OBS log in \OBS Studio\config\obs-studio\logs with a text editor and search for a line saying: "d3d9 memory capture successful" (without the quotes). If you find that line then that's what is slowing everything down. Try to see what it says right before that, it might be an indication what is causing OBS to fall back to the slow memory capture method.

If it's not this it can be hundreds of other things, in that case it's probably better to open your own thread about it and post your full logs there so you can get help specifically for your problem.

Thanks Bud, yeh i have my own open now for 24 hours or so, no luck so far.
but my issue sounded EXACTLY like teh one i replied too hence the bandwagon jumping

Fearmaky

For the love of all thats sacred, is there a fix for this? I have done the following.

1.Updated Windows
2.Updated OBS
3.Installed the quick fix file for obs
4.Removed all scenes and sources started fresh

and I still have massive i mean MASSIVE FPS drop on OBS software, goes from 60 to 7 Fps and bounces all over the place, The only thin I did not do is go back to a previous version of windows because they said it had to be within 10 days of updating.

WOWOWOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

As I was about to send this I figured it out!!

TURN OFF GAME BAR FOR WINDOWS!! IMMEDIATE FIX!! WIndows Button+G turn off game mode! frames go from 60 to 55ish but mostly stays at 60, I have not disabled the game bar feature all together yet maybe doing it wont drop any frames not sure.

Hopefully this helps all.

YorVeX

The problem from this thread is fixed, reliably and ultimately fixed. Whatever problems with similar symptoms you have, it's not this one. Good example above my post. Just open your own thread or keep on googling for this problem, there are many things that can cause this and have known fixes (like disabling the game bar).

Last edited:
I noticed one person mention NDI, and that's exactly how i'm running it (from gaming computer directly to streaming pc with no encoding prior) and it seemed good, but with black ops 4 the frames are like 10/s, just awful....

RoG TiTaN

So...hey. I know i am late. I had W10 1503 version, OBS worked so well streaming on you tube with game capture and display capture, with 180 fps in LoL and 100 fps streaming. After updateing to 1803 yesterday streaming doesn't work well. Like on you tube fps are low and you see the imagine very bad and behind. I have obs 22, what is there to do?

DEDRICK

1809 is the latest update, why would you update to 1803?

You probably did the 1809 update, which re-enable Game Mode, turn it off (WIndows +i>Gaming>Game Mode)

RoG TiTaN

I don't know, this is the version that appeared so i can use adobe premier. I have 1803 i check it. Should i see if i can update to 1809? EDIT: Doesn't seem that there is something to turn off. I can't update. My PC: Asus Rog Strix Rx 480 - 8 GB DDR4-2400 - Ryzen 5 1600

Last edited:

DEDRICK

RoG TiTaN

I did what it said. Should i download that program over there at recomandation? I am going to try streaming again today in the afternoon. I hope it will fix my problem, i tried many other setting from you tube tutorials, but it seems there is no way i could make OBS run like before. I have of course a hacked version of windows 10 1503 but i want to keep this one so i can use adobe premier. If nothing change i think i will downgrade. Thank you anyway, i will edit if that worked.

RoG TiTaN

I did it. I made the ,,file" and set the value to 0. I will try streaming today in the afternoon. I will let you know if anything changed.

RoG TiTaN

What? No don't download anything, that is an ad. Only do the RegEdit, takes like 1 min
Quick question. There are other files: GamePanelStartupShowCount , GamePanelStartupTipIndex , ShowStartupPanel with a value above 0, should i leave them the same or change it to 0?

Winxtinct_YT

Had the exact same problem with my OBS and i have and i7 - 8700k 2060 rtx and 32 gigs of ram and nothing worked untill i removed all the sources and scenes from OBS and suddenly the games were running as they should. Do let me know if this works for you.

Winxtinct_YT

Had the exact same problem with my OBS and i have and i7 - 8700k 2060 rtx and 32 gigs of ram and nothing worked untill i removed all the sources and scenes from OBS and suddenly the games were running as they should. Do let me know if this works for you.