Keyboard noice - How to avoid typing noice while recording?

Cherryblos

Hi!

OBS is the absolutely best program I have found latety and I have tried to find would all the important features needed in daily recording!

This challenge I have not been able to solve:
How to avoid recording the noice from my own keyboard while typing my notes?

Thank you for all the adviece how to not record also that disturbing keyboard noice!

Cherryblos

Thank you PaiSand!
Sounds like a very clever idea!

I thought there might be some specific setting for that! But it looks like I made a simple problem a bit too difficult!

So great that one does not need to figure out everything by oneself but there is a great active community here!

AaronD

There is no setting to "unmix" audio, because it physically can't be done. The closest you're going to get is a Noise Suppressor, either as a Filter in OBS or externally, but those don't work very well with transient sounds like keyboards.

Probably the best example I've heard is of a machine gun in a game, that starts off sounding perfect, and then gets muffled as the noise suppressor decides that that's noise to be removed. When the repetitive sound stops, the suppressor stops removing it, and takes a while to figure out again that it's returned.

It does work fairly well to remove *constant* noise, like fans that can be kept on, with no changes to their sound whatsoever. But only up to a certain volume.

What Pai said is absolutely true, and we do the same thing in professional sound. Even WE can't "unmix" audio! So we use the pickup patterns of the mics, knowing exactly where they do and *don't* pick up sound from, and put things that we don't want in the "null" of each mic.

Even that's not perfect, because sound reflects off of things and comes in from a different direction that is not null. But at least the distance is greater that way...

Suslik V

Touchscreens and onscreen keyboards.

Here some other solutions from the past to reduce keyboard noise:

AaronD

Another potential cue from the pro audio world might be "shy baffles", which are the plexiglass plates that you might see around the drum kit in a concert. The purpose of those is to sit between the cymbals (the worst offenders by far) and the vocal mics, and block the direct sound path.

Anything reasonably stiff will do the job. I made one from Lego to block a laptop fan, for example. You just want it to not move at the offending audio frequencies.