Question / Help Is there an hdmi-splitter that has zero lag?

Herolordman

i am trying to capture my ps3/4 to my mac with the blackmagic intensity pro pcie card, and stream with OBS. I can do it just fine, but the problem is that the Blackmagic Card has a slight lag (noticeable for first person shooters). I was wondering if there was an HDMI-splitter that will let me have the ps3/4 hdmi out go into 2 separate devices simultaneously (the black magic card, and my tv) so that i can capture with the black magic card and have the ps3/4 hooked up directly to my tv. Does anyone have any hdmi-splitting solutions that they can recommend?

FerretBomb

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LVXC

That's the one I use. It also coincidentally breaks HDCP, allowing digital recording of content on the PS3 on capture cards that may not otherwise allow it or run into problems while decoding.

I'd also recommend looking into the Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI cap card, if you're considering an upgrade from the BMIP. It's what I use, and is in my opinion the best cap card on the market at present for livestreaming purposes. Less than 2 frames of lag (usually much less), with a wide variety of inputs.

Sunshinegirls

I recommend you 1x2 HDMI Splitters. I ever got one for $ 30.65.
It can meet your demands that will let me have the ps3/4 hdmi out go into 2 separate devices simultaneously.

FerretBomb

I prefer a matrix: A 4x2 one will allow you to choose which of 4 devices (for me: PC/PS4/Wii U/PS3) to route to my capture card (output A) and TV (output B) without unplugging. I got this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ligawo-®-HDMI-Matrix-4x2/dp/B00H70JSXQ
Zero delay.

For HDCP I got a little thingy from AliExpress that removes it (for the PS3 or when I want to capture my phone's HDMI Out).
Only problem with cheap matrix switches is that they don't hold the EDID handshake. So every time you switch them, the devices attached see the monitor get unplugged, then plugged in again instead of just transferred smoothly in the background. Especially a problem if one of your inputs is your GPU for whatever reason... on a multi-monitor setup, it tends to scramble your desktop pretty good when that happens. Even when you're changing the *other* output, and not the one to the monitor, usually both get refreshed.
I ended up fixing mine by grabbing a Gefen HDMI Detective. Not cheap at around $70 apiece, but super worth it. Especially as most matrix switches with proper EDID-hold tend to be in the four digit price ranges. :b
Only problem now is that sometimes it confuses attached devices, that don't handle hot-swapped displays well. Easy enough to switch away and back again (or off and on again), but still a little annoying.

That seems pretty useful....
Oh, it is. And a steal at $20, not to have to screw with component cables and ghosting and other problems associated with a dip into analog.

Only problem with cheap matrix switches is that they don't hold the EDID handshake. So every time you switch them, the devices attached see the monitor get unplugged, then plugged in again instead of just transferred smoothly in the background.
Aha !
So the re-handshaking CAN be avoided.. Interesting...

FerretBomb

Aha !
So the re-handshaking CAN be avoided.. Interesting...
Yep, if you're comfortable spending 4-5 digits on a matrix, it essentially has an EDID host on every input and output, and handles the crossbarring between them internally.
For my purposes, one HDMI Detective was enough, just to get rid of the desktop-scramble. So my GPU never sees the monitor disconnect, even when it's completely unplugged.