Is there a way to export two monitors in different videos?

RedRoy232

Hey there, I am recording a Minecraft video with my friends and I want to capture discord (on my second monitor) and Minecraft (on my first monitor). is there a way to record these both at the same time, and export different displays as different audio files (like display-1.mp4 and display-2.mp4)

koala

Audio files? Do you want to record the Discord audio only, or do you want to record a video from Discord?
If you want only the Discord audio from your voice chat, and video only from Minecraft, you can set up one recording for Minecraft add discord as audio source, so the audio is mixed from Minecraft as well as from Discord in the same video file.

RedRoy232

Audio files? Do you want to record the Discord audio only, or do you want to record a video from Discord?
If you want only the Discord audio from your voice chat, and video only from Minecraft, you can set up one recording for Minecraft add discord as audio source, so the audio is mixed from Minecraft as well as from Discord in the same video file.
Thanks for the answer, but no, I want to capture discord as well because my friends and I are going to have our webcams on.

Synergist

I've not tried this myself, but you could try running a second OBS instance in portable mode, using a completely different scene setup just to capture the Discord window and saving to a separate video.

As Koala says, for most flexibility you'd add Discord as its own audio capture source.

You would need to figure out how you want to set up your second capture for Discord audio so it's not included in main game audio. I would recommend thinking whether you want to save Discord audio in the 'main' video of your gaming session or in the separate Discord clip.

If you capture discord audio on a separate channel, along with gaming audio on the main channel, that would ensure discord audio is synchronised to whatever happens in the gaming audio.

But, would you rather save it in the video for your Discord window, so you only have to worry about any absolute synchronisation between Discord and the gaming video while you're editing your videos afterwards? If so, separately capture the Discord audio with the Discord video and save that as one file. Save your game capture as the main video along with just the game audio.

Bear in mind you won't be able to use the NVENC encoder in two OBS instances simultaneously, so one video capture (I'd suggest the OBS portable instance for capturing Discord) would need to use x264 CPU encoding.

The win-capture-audio plugin may help you with capture specific program audio. The plugin does have issues with Windows 11 at the moment I believe.

An alternative method, which I've used for my setup for a long time, is to route all your audio (desktop, games, Discord) through VoiceMeeter. You use a different virtual input to VoiceMeeter as Discord's output device, for example VAIO3 or Aux Input (remember in VoiceMeeter language, "input" is the audio coming from a program into VoiceMeeter) and then route it out of its own VAIO output -- where you can also capture separately in Discord as you want it.

The VoiceMeeter learning curve is steep to begin with, but VoiceMeeter is so powerful and flexible it's worth getting to grips with it.

VoiceMeeter also allows you to record a multichannel audio file from its control panel, which you can import to an editor and extract what you need later, but bear in mind you may have gradual sync issues over time as soon as you start to save audio separately from video.

Last edited:

koala

There is no way to create 2 different videos with one OBS instance. If you want to capture both Minecraft and Discord into 2 distinct videos, you need to run 2 instances of OBS and record Minecraft with one and Discord with the other.

There is an alternative, depends on your video postprocessing skills. You can stitch both video sources together and record both in one video. Assuming your monitors are both 1920x1080 and you intend to record with fullscreen window sources or display capture. Change in Settings->Video your canvas and output resolution to 3840x1080.
Now you have plenty of space in the preview. Move your Minecraft source to the left half (1920x1080) of the preview and move the Discord source (also 1920x1080) to the right half of the preview. The resulting video will be 3840x1080. In a postprocessing step, you can cut the left or the right half as you like. This solution has the additional advantage that all actions in both sources are in sync.