Question / Help Is my computer just not strong enough?

maresh19

I'm trying to stream guild wars 1, a 15 year old game at this point, and its coming out with alot of blur when turning the camera, my previous attempt was
in game settings at low-med
x264,
fast,
5500 bitrate,
1920x1080,
30 fps
and it still just wouldn't come out clean, downscaling to 720p makes it look unacceptable
is there a setting or something i might be overlooking?

log file - https://obsproject.com/logs/0mmnLMuQ5_cFjlxm

FerretBomb

Those listed settings should provide solid video quality. The logfile contains a TON of recording attempts, but I was unable to find a streaming session with the settings listed in your post.
Can you do another test session after closing and re-opening OBS (to start a new logfile), stream with those settings above, then 'upload current logfile' after ending the stream, and post a link to the VOD as well to demonstrate the video issue?

No livestreamed video will be 100% perfect, but 1080p30@5500kbps on x264 Fast should be quite good visual quality.
Do note that if you have a complex/detailed layout/overlay (especially if it contains semi-transparent elements) it will be detrimental to your video quality.

maresh19

so turns out if you change video sources during a steam it wont save your settings in the logfile, weird.
I'm about to start tonight's stream with a different game for now, as soon as it's over I'll do 5 minuntes of guild wars 1 and send a new log file

BluePeer

rescale alltime worst
rescale at record tab ist the worstest one
rescale on video tab is better but still not good
for "perfect" results you need to set the base resolution to the stream target one
other it will look alltime "bad"

maresh19

rescale alltime worst
rescale at record tab ist the worstest one
rescale on video tab is better but still not good
for "perfect" results you need to set the base resolution to the stream target one
other it will look alltime "bad"
im not rescaling

BluePeer

and it still just wouldn't come out clean, downscaling to 720p makes it look unacceptable
is there a setting or something i might be overlooking?

log file - https://obsproject.com/logs/0mmnLMuQ5_cFjlxm
im not rescaling
the blurr is default for 1080P at 5500 fast settings
Go in more encode power is not an option with this cpu so if you want a "better" quality
Set the Game Resolution to 720P and the Base resolution of OBS (No rescale)
then you will get nearly what you looking for

carlmmii

The video quality for the clip you posted is exactly what you should expect. There are several problems you're encountering, none of which are really fixable:
  • Small text -- you're focusing on a small area, so any small compression artifacts are very noticeable
  • Red text -- because of chroma subsampling, strong red areas essentially get half the resolution detail available. This isn't something higher bitrate or better quality encoding will fix. This is inherent to the format the video is encoded to.
  • Sharp details -- it may not seem like it since this is an older game, but the lack of visual quality in the game actually means that there's more contrast and sharp edges across the scene (pixelated textures are a killer for encoders). Plus, you're dealing with grass and small text everywhere, which always requires more bitrate to be handled well
You're honestly doing about the best you can for encoder settings for your hardware. 1080p30 is the correct choice -- this at least gives the red text a chance to be legible, and the framerate needs to be lower to allow more bits per frame to keep the quality up so it remains as readable as possible.

The only thing you could possibly do is increase your bitrate if your network can handle it (possibly up to 8000kbps).

maresh19

So to be clear here to get what im looking for would take a better cpu. To get near what I'm looking for, set the games resolution as well as obs base and canvas resolutions to 720, correct? and maybe see what i can do about lessening the amount of text? twitch wont allow over 6k btrate

carlmmii

As long as lowering the resolution increases the text size on screen, that would work. Otherwise, keeping 1080p30 is your best bet for readability.

Twitch's 6k "limit" is only a recommendation -- you can go higher, and most people can still have transcoding available up to 8000kbps.

As far as wanting a better CPU, I would actually recommend looking at possibly upgrading to the current-gen line of Nvidia cards (1650 ti super or higher... not the 1650 ti non-super). They have the Turing NVENC encoder, which actually is able to encode at a quality that is fairly equivalent to the fast or even medium preset for x264, but the key thing is that it seems to do a much better job of keeping details in text.

maresh19

As long as lowering the resolution increases the text size on screen, that would work. Otherwise, keeping 1080p30 is your best bet for readability.

Twitch's 6k "limit" is only a recommendation -- you can go higher, and most people can still have transcoding available up to 8000kbps.

As far as wanting a better CPU, I would actually recommend looking at possibly upgrading to the current-gen line of Nvidia cards (1650 ti super or higher... not the 1650 ti non-super). They have the Turing NVENC encoder, which actually is able to encode at a quality that is fairly equivalent to the fast or even medium preset for x264, but the key thing is that it seems to do a much better job of keeping details in text.

Iappreciate the reccomendation i'll look into it, i had no idea about the bitrate i can definately go higher then
For the record, the readability of the text isn't a concern, just looking to display how well the graphics have aged and not do an injustice to them