Is it possible to get All-Intra (All-I) capture through OBS?

bwone

Hello,

I would like to be able to capture All-I from OBS to match my current workflow from my camera. Would like to use both desktop and gaming from a capture card for this.

Mostly doing this for editing purposes as no matter what hardware you have is there timeline degradation when using h.264/265. I have very capable hardware on my Windows Desktop (5950x, 4070ti) and Mac Laptop (M1, 16gb) so i have the hardware acceleration but as you stack on more h.265/265 that is using Long GOP eventually you have to proxy things out to get better performance.

I know all-I is not perfect but I believe its a pretty good way to be able to edit smoothly across the board with similar match codec from my camera and no need proxies. I mainly edit desktop so i have plenty of storage space and manage projects properly (Why have 1TB or 2 TB drives if your not going to use the full storage which is cheap these days.) I also have a NAS which i have 50+ TB of storage available for archiving. I also figure if I need space I can always either delete what I don't need or transcode to shrink the file and use a proxy if i need to come back to that file later (probably years later)

Tomasz Góral

Hmm,
capture All-I it's impossible because is codec.
OBS can capture not compressed signal - but you camera send signal via HDMI, with color space yuv420 or yuv422 or yuv444.
Your grabber can decode color space ?
It often happens: camera can save internal color space yuv422 or send via HDMI only yuv420.

bwone

Hmm,
capture All-I it's impossible because is codec.
OBS can capture not compressed signal - but you camera send signal via HDMI, with color space yuv420 or yuv422 or yuv444.
Your grabber can decode color space ?
It often happens: camera can save internal color space yuv422 or send via HDMI only yuv420.
Would it be able to capture an uncompresss signal or something that would be good for editing in a video editor like Intra or Intermediate codec so i don't have to proxy?

Tomasz Góral

Would it be able to capture an uncompresss signal or something that would be good for editing in a video editor like Intra or Intermediate codec so i don't have to proxy?
OBS - can record and streaming, if you need recorder i suggest use dedicated device like: atomos ninja