Intermittent Capture Lurch/Slowdown Every 16-17 Seconds on OBS with 4K60 Pro MK.2 Card

X90

Hello,

I seemed to have stumped the OBS Discord chat, so I figured I'd move everything here and see if I can find any other solutions.

I've been battling this awful capture problem with my Elgato 4K60 MK.2 for the last few weeks, both within Elgato 4K Capture and OBS. Elgato 4K Capture has since been largely solved (the stuttering in the preview still happens, but the recording in VLC is more than acceptable), but OBS still exhibits this problem.

Here's two links to the problem, with timestamps:

As you can see, at the timestamps, the video simply lurches every 16-17 seconds, almost grinding to a halt. It looks like it runs at about a quarter of the frame rate or worse for around 1 second, then continues on. This problems happens in the OBS Preview screen almost identically - so it occurs outside of recording/streaming as well. What's odd is that 4K Capture Utility's recordings seem to not have this problem.

Specs are: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, GTX 1080 Ti AORUS XTREME (latest driver), 32GB DDR4-3600, X470 Gaming Pro (latest BIOS), 4K60 Pro MK.2 (in PCIe X8 Slot). Latest version of OBS, latest version of Windows 11. This computer is only capturing video and doing no other work - the source is plugged into the IN HDMI slot of the capture card and that's it. The game is not being played on this machine - it is purely a capture and encoding machine. GPU load is about 22% when recording, and none of my components are even remotely stressed.

Changing the "buffering" behavior seems to alter this behavior, with Buffering On only exhibiting these lurches. Buffering Off keeps these lurches, but adds more intermittent stutter between them. Buffering On seems to be the superior choice.

Here's a link to my most recent log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/HinN8Z122cDqP2Sz

After multiple attempts, a few people helping in the Discord could not figure out the solution. I appreciate their efforts regardless. Some of their suggestions, which were unsuccessful:

• Lowering the recording settings (issue happens even when not recording)
  • Switching between 59.94 and 60 FPS in Video settings (no change)
  • Disabling AntiVirus/creating Firewall Exception/Uninstalling Game DVR (all done previously)
  • Recording to a different drive than my 970 EVO (no change)
  • Checking PCIE slot (4K60 Pro has been tried in both PCIE X8 and X4 slots, no change - slots are sending full bandwidth)
  • Checking GPU PCIE Bandwidth (operating at full 16X, first slot on MoBo)

I'm out of ideas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to use this software for both recording and streaming, but as of right now, only recording with the inferior 4K Capture Utility is in a reasonable state.

Thanks.

X

OneMeterPeter

Long shot, but have you tried changing the settings within 4K Capture Utility, especially under EDID to either Merged or Display?

Do you have Elgato Camera HUB running in the background? It interferes for me and causes flickering and tearing.

Lastly, do you have nVidia Broadcast on in the background? Try disabling that too - it sort of hijacks your video feed and the computer is trying to feed the source to 2 places at once (this is what I presume is happening, because nVidia Broadcast also does not play well with my streaming setup).

X90

I have indeed tried to change the EDID settings. I generally have it running under Internal (Default), as the Elgato tech advised me that this is the best method for capturing more than one resolution from an external source. I have tried both the "Merged" and "Display" variations, to no success (in the case of Merged, it is completely unusable). No change in the stuttering behavior, unfortunately, with any EDID variation.

I do not have Elgato Camera HUB or any cameras hooked up to this workstation PC. It is only capturing video.

I use NVidia Cleanstall when updating my graphics drivers on all of my PCs. Thus, I don't have any GeForce Experience or Shadowplay elements installed. I've never heard of Broadcast, but I assume it's something from there. I only install the Graphics driver and HD Audio, and absolutely nothing else.

Thanks for the ideas, though. They were good shots at it.

gosusteele

Did you ever end up resolving this issue? I have been running into the same issue lately with my recordings. I've checked for any encoding dropped frames and there are none.

Zagranth

Hi there, I have a similar issue with OBS since lastr summer when I upgraded my PC and instaslled Windows 11. I do have an older capture card, though (Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2) but I've heard that this problem is still relevant with newer capture cards also. I have forced to stream with ReCentral which runs fine. However, I would prefer using OBS because it is way more versatile software

dobbs929

Same problem here! Been beating my head against the wall trying to fix this for a cumulative 30 f****** hours.

dobbs929

Hello,

I seemed to have stumped the OBS Discord chat, so I figured I'd move everything here and see if I can find any other solutions.

I've been battling this awful capture problem with my Elgato 4K60 MK.2 for the last few weeks, both within Elgato 4K Capture and OBS. Elgato 4K Capture has since been largely solved (the stuttering in the preview still happens, but the recording in VLC is more than acceptable), but OBS still exhibits this problem.

Here's two links to the problem, with timestamps:

As you can see, at the timestamps, the video simply lurches every 16-17 seconds, almost grinding to a halt. It looks like it runs at about a quarter of the frame rate or worse for around 1 second, then continues on. This problems happens in the OBS Preview screen almost identically - so it occurs outside of recording/streaming as well. What's odd is that 4K Capture Utility's recordings seem to not have this problem.

Specs are: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, GTX 1080 Ti AORUS XTREME (latest driver), 32GB DDR4-3600, X470 Gaming Pro (latest BIOS), 4K60 Pro MK.2 (in PCIe X8 Slot). Latest version of OBS, latest version of Windows 11. This computer is only capturing video and doing no other work - the source is plugged into the IN HDMI slot of the capture card and that's it. The game is not being played on this machine - it is purely a capture and encoding machine. GPU load is about 22% when recording, and none of my components are even remotely stressed.

Changing the "buffering" behavior seems to alter this behavior, with Buffering On only exhibiting these lurches. Buffering Off keeps these lurches, but adds more intermittent stutter between them. Buffering On seems to be the superior choice.

Here's a link to my most recent log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/HinN8Z122cDqP2Sz

After multiple attempts, a few people helping in the Discord could not figure out the solution. I appreciate their efforts regardless. Some of their suggestions, which were unsuccessful:

• Lowering the recording settings (issue happens even when not recording)
  • Switching between 59.94 and 60 FPS in Video settings (no change)
  • Disabling AntiVirus/creating Firewall Exception/Uninstalling Game DVR (all done previously)
  • Recording to a different drive than my 970 EVO (no change)
  • Checking PCIE slot (4K60 Pro has been tried in both PCIE X8 and X4 slots, no change - slots are sending full bandwidth)
  • Checking GPU PCIE Bandwidth (operating at full 16X, first slot on MoBo)

I'm out of ideas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to use this software for both recording and streaming, but as of right now, only recording with the inferior 4K Capture Utility is in a reasonable state.

Thanks.

X
Sry for necro but did you ever solve this?

here we go! this issue is ridiculous and i empathize with the amount of frustration. here is what i found after pulling my hair out.
PS5 recording specifically, as i have not used it in a PC/PC configuration
if you want the smoothest, without hiccup, TURN OFF VRR, you can keep it on, but you might get weird "preview" moments that dont show up on the recording.

step 1, open 4k capture utility, make sure your preview is smooth there. ( if you cant get 4k capture preview smooth, continue anyway) KEEP 4K CAPTURE UTILITY OPEN

step 2, open OBS, SET THE CANVAS/RECORDING PROFILE TO 59.94fps, this is important

step 3, in the MK 2 properties, resoloution/fps type: Custom, Resolution 3840x2160, FPS Match output, Video format P010 (i record HDR) Colorspace: rec.2100 (pq) (HDR)
Color range: Limited
buffering: ENABLED <----super important!! the guidance from elgato website says to keep buffering off, but you need it on to not stutter. your preview will most likely have a delay, thats normal.
audio output mode- Capture audio only

click ok!
step 4, IN SOURCES, add Audio input capture, name it elgato monitor or elgato headphones or something like that, after confirming the name, select the elgato mk 2 from "device" pulldown menu. select ok. this new audio input capture will work in tandem with the main elgato video/audio capture. this new audio input will not have latency/delay that can happen over time.

in your audio mixer, go into advanced audio properties, in here have that new input you just created MONITOR ONLY with NO TRACKS selected
For the main elgato mk2 audio source have MONITOR OFF, and select the tracks you wish the audio to record to

Now back in Main settings/ Audio/ advanced select your monitoring device : i use headphones

step 5, now close down OBS and open it again.

Preview should be clean with no stutter and your audio monitoring should not drift over time

this worked for me, i hope it works for you

soooo 4k capture utility needs to remain open, OBS needs be configured for 59.94 with a buffer and an new audio input need to be created to MONITOR the audio because the buffer will create a delay on the main source

i think the issue is how the 4k60pro mkII internal buffer interacts with OBS and how the PS5 outputs 59.94fps

Last edited: Sunday at 10:41 PM
Quote Reply

G

grundlestiltskin

New Member​

moderator approval for above post please?????!

Quote Reply

G

grundlestiltskin

New Member​

here we go! this issue is ridiculous and i empathize with the amount of frustration. here is what i found after pulling my hair out.
PS5 recording specifically, as i have not used it in a PC/PC configuration
if you want the smoothest, without hiccup, TURN OFF VRR, you can keep it on, but you might get weird "preview" moments that dont show up on the recording.

step 1, open 4k capture utility, make sure your preview is smooth there. ( if you cant get 4k capture preview smooth, continue anyway) KEEP 4K CAPTURE UTILITY OPEN

step 2, open OBS, SET THE CANVAS/RECORDING PROFILE TO 59.94fps, this is important

step 3, in the MK 2 properties, resoloution/fps type: Custom, Resolution 3840x2160, FPS Match output, Video format P010 (i record HDR) Colorspace: rec.2100 (pq) (HDR)
Color range: Limited
buffering: ENABLED <----super important!! the guidance from elgato website says to keep buffering off, but you need it on to not stutter. your preview will most likely have a delay, thats normal.
audio output mode- Capture audio only

click ok!
step 4, IN SOURCES, add Audio input capture, name it elgato monitor or elgato headphones or something like that, after confirming the name, select the elgato mk 2 from "device" pulldown menu. select ok. this new audio input capture will work in tandem with the main elgato video/audio capture. this new audio input will not have latency/delay that can happen over time.

in your audio mixer, go into advanced audio properties, in here have that new input you just created MONITOR ONLY with NO TRACKS selected
For the main elgato mk2 audio source have MONITOR OFF, and select the tracks you wish the audio to record to

Now back in Main settings/ Audio/ advanced select your monitoring device : i use headphones

step 5, now close down OBS and open it again.

Preview should be clean with no stutter and your audio monitoring should not drift over time

this worked for me, i hope it works for you

soooo 4k capture utility needs to remain open, OBS needs be configured for 59.94 with a buffer and an new audio input need to be created to MONITOR the audio because the buffer will create a delay on the main source

i think the issue is how the 4k60pro mkII internal buffer interacts with OBS and how the PS5 outputs 59.94fps