Intel Quick Sync is beautiful and the future of streaming.

faxin

Re: Intel Quick Sync is beautiful and the future of streamin

I have a i5 2500K with the Asus saberthooth P67, wich does not support Quick Sync.. I will go cry in a corner now.
Well i got a 3570k with a MSI Z77A-s03 and this fucking shitty motherboard don't got a video output either... im so angry right now!

Kadano

I’m using 0.612b (not newer because I need proper “Use input device for desktop audio”) and can’t get the Quick Sync option to be available.

I have set up a headless display for my i3-2120. Main GPU is a 6870 that’s connected to my monitor.
In programs like madVR, I can successfully use Quick Sync. But not in OBS.

Do you know what I need to do so Quick Sync is available and not greyed out?

Oh, and I don’t have Lucid Virtu installed.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I’m using 0.612b (not newer because I need proper “Use input device for desktop audio”)

The option is still available as an INI setting. Just set InputDevicesForDesktopSound=1 under the [Audio] section of the profile INI in %appdata%/OBS/<your profile>.ini. The issue where devices weren't getting listed is fixed in 0.622.

Kadano

Okay, I just had to update the Intel HD graphics drivers, now it works fine. Recording in 720p60, good picture quality, with my i3-2120 at ~20% CPU load. :D

okaydanny

Thanks for this, and its working like a charm. Theres only one weird issue, i now have 2 mouse cursors?! The 2nd one is just sitting there on the top left corner of my screen. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm on windows 8.1 64 bit.

Last edited:

Tektic

Alright so I've been messing around with quicksync myself and I have been running at 720p 25fps (30fps with occasional stutter) @2500kbs on a MOBILE i3-2367m!!!! Only real problem is that I don't have a mobile/usb capture device to properly test whether or not I can stream gameplay. I've been doing tests by adding 720p videos to the playlist and streaming that way. Anyone have an i3 laptop around with a usb capture card to do some tests? I'd love to see if I could invest in a usb capture device myself for my gaming pc and use my i3 laptop as a dedicated streaming pc.

EDIT: Also wanted to note that the reason I'm not using quicksync on my gaming PC is because it is an AMD build.

okaydanny

Thanks for this, and its working like a charm. Theres only one weird issue, i now have 2 mouse cursors?! The 2nd one is just sitting there on the top left corner of my screen. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm on windows 8.1 64 bit.

Anyone?

Kadano

Yes, I had this as well when I activated a headless display in Windows 7 x64. The second glitching cursor disappeared randomly and isn‘t bothering me any longer. My headless display is set to the resolution 640×480, by the way.

Kenjiro

Hello there. I am kindda new to OBS.

Yesterday I followed dodgepong's tutorial and made OBS stream to my rtmp server (a sheevaplug running debian+nginx), so now I can play and my little server records the game sessions.

But I wanted to decrease the performance hit. So I found this thread. My CPU is capable of Quick Sync (an Intel Core i7), so I enabled the stuffs on BIOS, installed the lastest Intel driver, etc. Now I have the Quick Sync option on OBS.

To test things, I ran Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edtion on my PC and let it make the benchmark. It scored about 221fps without OBS streaming or recording. Then I set OBS to stream to my server and benchmarked again. To my surprise, the result was pretty similar to what I had yesterday, before trying the Quick Sync technique. The performance hit was about 10fps on the benchmark.

Another thing, if I tell OBS to use my Intel HD Graphics 4600 as the Video Adapter, then OBS won't get anything from the game, be it in PREVIEW MODE or STREAM MODE. I thought would be normal, but then I checked the resulting video on my server and all I got was a black screen.

Can anyone help me with this?

Anyway, congratulations for this improvement in OBS and to trexid for posting these tips.

P.S. - My config:
CPU = Core i7-4770 @3.4GHz
GPU = AMD Radeon HD 5850
RAM = 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
The video adapter selection has nothing to do with Quicksync. So don't switch the Video adapter. Why would you? The content you want to capture normally still runs on your Main GPU so this should be selected as OBS does by default. Only if the Intel chip is the only GPU or the one rendering your Games etc, you should switch it.

Kenjiro

Jack0r, thanks for the quick reply.

Well, I only followed the instructions given in the first post. Call me newbie if you want ;)

So, any hints on how to decrease the performance hit while I am "gaming" and streaming to my server (the local server, on my lan, records the stream sessions)

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Oh, I actually never read the main article, since dodge and rich replied to it, I did not think it had such information included. Can't remember if maybe the 0.57b version needed this setting back then, but nowadays luckily we do not need to switch the video adapter normally :)

I must have understood your first post wrong, I thought you only had a 10fps performance hit using quicksync now? That seems pretty normal. CPU usage from OBS should be very low and only slight GPU usage to capture your content.

Kenjiro

Jack0r, in fact, using Quick Sync or x264 didn't matter, at least in regards of SSF4AE.

I just ran some tests:

SSF4AE + Fraps (to check on FPS count and benchmark) + OBS (streaming to my server)

So I ran 3 tests:

1- Replayed a fight I had in the game, told FRAPS to bencharmk for 60s, OBS was not streaming. The result was:
2014-07-07 22:02:23 - SSFIV
Frames: 3600 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 60.000 - Min: 59 - Max: 61​

2- Replayed the same fight, told FRAPS to benchmark for 60s, OBS streaming with x264 enabled. The result was:
2014-07-07 22:04:47 - SSFIV

3- Replayed the same fight, told FRAPS to benchmark for 60s, OBS streaming with Quick Sync enabled. The result was:
2014-07-07 22:08:07 -SSFIV

So... the same results. (note: in my first reply, when I said I ran a benchmark, I was referring to one inside the game, which tests the maximum framerate the game could run (although it runs at 60fps)).

Well, SSF4 is quite a "light" game, if compared to Batman Arkham Origins or Battlefield 4 (the other games I've been playing). I guess this Quick Sync might decrease the performance hit when I try to stream those last two, huh? ;)

Kenjiro

@Krazy, I agree with you.

I am doing all these tests, being worried about performance hit because my V.Card is quite old. When I get a new one, then I might relax a bit more ;)

For now, the way I set things (OBS+Quick Sync+NGinx) is working nicely for me.

Kujuta

Hi,

I tried to use quick sync with this method post.
It's beautiful and works good but I have 2 issues (1 of which is a problem) :

1/ As mentionned before, i have a second mouse pointer which is appeared on top left on my screen. She doesn't move but she's like my "real" mouse pointer (she's changing in real-time on the text pointer, link pointer, natural pointer, etc.)
I think it's a bug of hd graphics card which is forced to connected vga no ?

2/ The real problem : I have to turn off hd graphics driver in order to disconnect this screen because just after the windows boot, my screen is black like if my nvidia gtx 770 is turn off.
The only way is to hard reboot my pc with turn off the hd graphics card in BIOS and uninstall driver hd graphics on windows....

This is a real disturbance because i don't know when this can appear and so, I can't use syncquick mode on live streaming.

Have you got an idea of my problems ?

Thanks

nb: sorry for my english, I don't speak it very well ;)

diethylamide

what i get absolutely confused about is... do we really have to enable a monitor with the VGA graphics (set the display as active in windows)? QuickSync was activated (in OBS) already before i did that. It's kinda untidy to have a "ghost monitor" that one can't even see. I am using a double monitor setup already. As far as i know both would still run via the videocard even if i had one monitor plugged into the CPU graphics output. ... I'm just--- CONFUSED.

Last edited:

Kadano

what i get absolutely confused about is... do we really have to enable a monitor with the VGA graphics (set the display as active in windows)? QuickSync was activated (in OBS) already before i did that. It's kinda untidy to have a "ghost monitor" that one can't even see. I am using a double monitor setup already. As far as i know both would still run via the videocard even if i had one monitor plugged into the CPU graphics output. ... I'm just--- CONFUSED.
From what I’ve read, you don’t need the QS display if you are using Windows 8. I’m on 7 though, so I don’t know for sure.