Intel Quick Sync is beautiful and the future of streaming.

Lodey

I have the HD Graphics 4600 (Intel i7 4770k with GTX 660 Ti) and I tried this thing out of curiosity, quality is very inferior to h.264 when at bitrates of 3000~ or so. At 15000 for local recording, it looks great, but for livestreaming purposes, I think h.264 is more ideal and performs better at lower quality. 3500 is the bare minimum for this if you plan to do streaming, as 3000 introduces a LOT of visual artifacts for me.

Also, so other people don't make the same mistake I did following OP's instructions: DON'T change your video adapter to the Intel Graphics, keep it at whatever your default is, or whatever you were using before. Otherwise, you won't be able to capture anything. That, and changing your h.264 preset makes no different when using QuickSync.

Last edited:

Lodey

The worst part about using OBS with this method of tricking Windows into thinking you have a second display is that it will break a lot of your sources. Window capture for me would create weird glitches and not capture the sources at all, I had to switch it back because of this.

Jaybonaut

Uh, is this thing fixed now? There are numerous threads talking about how it crashes after about 20 minutes with mods telling us to not use it and to stick with x264 because not all the devs have access to Quick Sync...?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Hmm, I use quicksync with OBS pretty much every day for the past year or so, since support has been added. From time to time an intel driver update made problems, thats generally about it.
But people tend to do things with their systems that make them unstable, for example overclock the cpu. And I think only palana worked on adding quicksync support to OBS, so yea, its hard to pinpoint the problems in some cases for us mods.

@Lodey, on the HD4**** generation chips, you normally do not need to connect a fake monitor. Your motherboard just needs full headless support and then the window captures should keep working too.

DeathWhitch

@Lodey, on the HD4**** generation chips, you normally do not need to connect a fake monitor. Your motherboard just needs full headless support and then the window captures should keep working too.

Hey in running a 4000 series Intel hd and I'm unsure if i needed to fake a monitor or not since i use dual monitors anyway and didn't fake one. Quick sync is enabled and working but with it on window capture no longer works. Not sure why or how to fix as I'm using two monitors and nothing is faked.

Mono - p8z77 v-lk

Thoughts?

Trxo

I've installed and followed this guide but now I have this ghost cursor in the top left corner of my main display. If I disable the VGA display from the guide then it goes away. How can I have it on but no ghost cursor?

i had that problem but i found out what it was. Just uninstall Intel HD driver's and reinstall

Kadano

Since I upgraded to Windows 8, I can’t get Quick Sync to work any longer. It seems that it’s because I am using the N version, which doesn’t have Quick Sync support. So if any of you can’t get it to work, maybe you have an N version too.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1691170

Edit: It might work after installing the Media Feature Pack from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42503

Will report back when I’ve installed it.

Edit2: Didn’t help anything, in fact I had already installed it.

Last edited:

p3dr0maz

Currently trying to gauge trade off between quality and performance of x264 vs QS. I will play around more with the settings but bitrate to bitrate QS 4k kbps vs x264 4k kbps the quality seems way better on x264. Can i get better quality at the same bitrate on QS if i enable some custom settings instead of using the canned settings? Im guessing bit for bit atm with the drivers we have that QS has a little bit before it catches up to x264. Also is x265 not an option for streaming? HEVC encoding I can get same quality of x264 but half the size. I understand HEVC is not standard but its very popular. Not all knowing in the field just getting my feet wet so if my statement about x265(hevc) is wrong that's just me misunderstanding the encoding technology.

i7-4790K
GTX 970
8GB RAM

Boildown

The other tradeoff you didn't mention is CPU usage. If you allow infinite CPU usage, x264 will win, unless you use one of the lowest few quality presets, because QuickSync is a hardware encoder, and doesn't have many options to "catch up" (as you said) with x264. QS will only catch up with x264 when Intel releases a new CPU with better QS built in to it.

H.265 isn't supported by many (or any) video streaming services yet. Even if you could send Twitch HEVC encoded video, it wouldn't know what to do with it, and Twitch's player wouldn't play it back for the end user. HEVC isn't very popular in practice. Only on message boards among people who aren't programmers is it popular. :P

ezcapper

sorry for newbie question on old thread, but does the quicksync on intel hd graphics 5xx (Skylake generation) support 1080p60 streaming/recording easily (all gpu no cpu hit)?

Boildown

I think so? Haven't used it in forever. Maybe someone else can speak to it. Of course it will depend on the complexity of the input video too.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I would be happy if I could supply you a list of graphics generations and their capabilities but it depends on too many factors it seems. Only information I could find is the maximum supported resolution:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics#Capabilities_.28GPU_video_acceleration.29
In general I can personally say that I had to lower the quicksync preset for 1080p60 to work good. Which in turn made it necessary to increase the bitrate. (Using an i7-4770)
Others with an 4770K had no such problems. My low-end laptop was able to do 720p30 using an i3-2330m.
Newer generations will be better as well.

ezcapper

I would be happy if I could supply you a list of graphics generations and their capabilities but it depends on too many factors it seems. Only information I could find is the maximum supported resolution:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics#Capabilities_.28GPU_video_acceleration.29
In general I can personally say that I had to lower the quicksync preset for 1080p60 to work good. Which in turn made it necessary to increase the bitrate. (Using an i7-4770)
Others with an 4770K had no such problems. My low-end laptop was able to do 720p30 using an i3-2330m.
Newer generations will be better as well.
Thanks!