Intel Arc AV1 Shenanigans (OBS 29 Beta 3 and OBS 29.0)

Hi All!

I'll cut to the chase, makes things a bit easier.
I've been having issues for a bit over a month now with OBS not allowing me to use my Arc A380's AV1 capabilities or even HEVC for that matter. I'm able to choose Quicksync H.264, but the only other options for CODECS are x.264, SVT/AOM AV1, and AMD H.264/265 (I have two GPUs). I've tried pretty much everything that I could think of including updating both my A380's drivers and updating OBS to the latest build available. I've disabled my iGPU to eliminate the possibility that OBS is using that for encode, and I've tried it using JUST the A380 as well to no avail.
While I don't think a log would be too useful to include here, I'll include one anyways https://obsproject.com/logs/CJ6A3AUHxT3LSDtz.
My specs are:
Intel i5 12600K
32GB Ripjaws S5 DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM
AMD Radeon 6750XT (XFX MERC319)
Intel Arc A380 (ASRock Challenger ITX OC)
Avermedia Live Gamer 4K

Here's an image of the options available to me.
Screenshot 2023-01-08 203503.png

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, I'm more than willing to provide any additional information if needed! Thank you in advance.

Known issue, rolling back the Intel driver will fix it.

Replicated the user's situation. I rolled drivers back to 31.0.101.3959 and it still doesn't work
https://obsproject.com/logs/YqnsZXUAxXej1utQ - updated log
I've been trying since OBS 29 Beta first released a while back, kinda frustrating not being able to use AV1 lol

it seems there must be a monitor connected to show in OBS. this is not necessary to use the encoder.
OBS Team should fix that

Cryptonomous

Im in the same situation, I found a workaround.

First of all I am using OBS 29.1 BETA, with the latest Intel BETA drivers 31.0.101.4257

AV1 is enabled on YouTube streams with this OBS update.

I tried to see if they fixed the option so it shows, it didn't.

I found a forum where the guy said he plugged a monitor into his A380 and alas the AV1 encoder shows up and is functional for a YouTube stream, it also shows up for local recording so presumably it also works for that, I can confirm another time.

ISSUE: Due to the monitor being plugged into the Intel GPU you have performance issues relating to the content shown on that monitor as the Intel GPU is carrying the workload, such as videos playing, scrolling a webpage/discord, any content which adds 3D GPU usage screwing up the encoder of the GPU, 70-80% dropped frames from encoding overload.

So basically for me its as follows:

1. Launch OBS
2. Launch game so it hooks into game capture
3. Close OBS, AV1 isnt showing
4. Plug 2nd monitor cable into A380
5. Launch OBS, AV1 shows
6. Make your stream/recording settings
7. Swap cable back to main GPU to prevent performance issues.
8. That SHOULD be it..

Hope it works.

AaronD

download the .exe from this and replace the one in the following directory

C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit
Looks like you're replacing the official OBS build with someone's custom one. It might solve this problem, but what else is different?

If you ask for help with a different (non-common) issue, and it comes out that you're using a custom build, our answer will probably be to go back to the official one or we can't help you. It's not that we're stingy or stuck-up, but it could very well be a black hole for our time, to try and figure out what custom oddity is responsible and how to fix *that*.

You're more than welcome to try all the customizaton you want - that's one of the big benefits of open-source - but also understand that the ability to ask for help drops off a cliff when you do that.

werdwerdus

just bumping this thread with some small but disappointing update

i have been using the custom obs-qsv-test.exe from that github link with 4369 drivers with absolutely no issues, no encoding dropped frames, everything has been perfect. i decided to check for new Intel driver, downloaded and installed, reverted back to the stock obs .exe and have some mixed results. the av1 encoder DOES show up in OBS and it does start recording as expected. but shortly after starting the encoder starts dropping up to 50% of frames.

so, looks like i'm going back to previous driver version and the custom .exe until things improve