Question / Help I can't seem to stream GRW at preset = faster with my setup. Can someone tell me ?

Chewy77

I recently upgraded to a 2700x, so that I could improve the quality of my stream. One of my main games is Ghost Recon Wildlands.
I used to stream it at preset very fast. But when I changed to preset = faster, i suffered significant frame drops in the stream.
Is there anything I can change to improve the quality?

Attachments

• 2019-05-09 22-06-35.txt
    147.9 KB · Views: 74
D

Deleted member 121471

1) Use "Game Capture" instead of "Display Capture";
2) Limit your FPS to 60 through VSYNC, ingame FPS cap or Rivatuner;
3) Test again with only Game Capture source then, if results are satisfactory, add all the others.
4) If you want to improve the overall quality, you'd need close to 7500kbps upload rate for your current output resolution for the best balance of bitrate vs quality. "Faster" preset is unlikely to help much when you are this much bitrate starved.

For reference, how many monitors do you have connected? Do they have the same resolution and refresh rates?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewy77

1) Use "Game Capture" instead of "Display Capture";
2) Limit your FPS to 60 through VSYNC, ingame FPS cap or Rivatuner;
3) Test again with only Game Capture source then, if results are satisfactory, add all the others.
4) If you want to improve the overall quality, you'd need close to 7500kbps upload rate for your current output resolution for the best balance of bitrate vs quality. "Faster" preset is unlikely to help much when you are this much bitrate starved.

For reference, how many monitors do you have connected? Do they have the same resolution and refresh rates?

1) & 3) When i went dual UW setup earlier this year. I couldn't use game capture on obs or slobs. I'd just get a black screen, even though I had selected the game. I'd even restart obs/slobs still a black capture preview. And when I tried streaming, it was all black. Back on obs now, but I haven't tested game capture again.
2) Rivatuner is capped at 60fps. But i did have the game refresh rate set to 75Hz. I did not think that would have as big an impact. But I'll drop it back to 60Hz.
4) I didn't think I'd have to go that high bit rate-wise for 720p60fps even for UW setups. Since I'm only twitch affiliate I'll stick with 6000kbps.

Chewy77

so i capped GRW to 60hz & v-sync. Bumped up the bit rate to 6000kb/s
I get significant encoding & rendering lag at preset = faster
But now even at preset = very fast there's some encoding and rendering lag.
Is there anything i can do to maintain quality and fps?

Attachments

• 2019-05-10 20-39-54.txt
    25.5 KB · Views: 38
D

Deleted member 121471

You're dealing with 2 problems, based on your logs:

1) Your base and output canvas resolutions are not 16:9, which means your stream will always have black bars for the vast majority of viewers unless you truncate sections of your captured game source or stretch the image to fit the entire screen. This is also why your stream isn't standardized 720p and why it needs so much more bitrate;

2) You're still using display capture, which is significantly slower and more taxing than game capture. I don't know why that particular game would only display a black screen though.

If you don't change any of these settings, you'll have to use "very fast" CPU preset or NVENC, if you want to save some CPU resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewy77

You're dealing with 2 problems, based on your logs:

1) Your base and output canvas resolutions are not 16:9, which means your stream will always have black bars for the vast majority of viewers unless you truncate sections of your captured game source or stretch the image to fit the entire screen. This is also why your stream isn't standardized 720p and why it needs so much more bitrate;

2) You're still using display capture, which is significantly slower and more taxing than game capture. I don't know why that particular game would only display a black screen though.

If you don't change any of these settings, you'll have to use "very fast" CPU preset or NVENC, if you want to save some CPU resources.

1) viewers haven't complained about the black bars yet. Mostly expressed curiosity. And i'd rather they see what I see rather than fit the 16:9 ratio. So i don't plan on changing that.

2) It's not just grw. Every game that I tried streaming has had black screen right after I added the 2nd monitor. So display capture has been the easy way out.
If you have any ideas on how to fix that, I would be sincerely appreciate it. I used to game capture and it was a lot better.
I had Game capture properties set to:
- Mode: capture specific window
- Window: game.exe
- Window match priority: match title, otherwise find window of same type (i've tried the other options, only black screen)
- everything else is default

carlmmii

Can you do me a favor and remove discord temporarily from your scene, and post the logs of a recording test? Your logs are filled with websocket errors coming from that source, which could be either masking true indicators, or it may be the root cause of the encoding lag.

Also, considering you're on ryzen, have you made sure your motherboard's bios is up to date?

And just to have a clear picture as to your monitor situation, as Volfield asked before... Do they have the same resolution and refresh rates? Also, how are they connected to your GPU?

Last edited:

Chewy77

Can you do me a favor and remove discord temporarily from your scene, and post the logs of a recording test? Your logs are filled with websocket errors coming from that source, which could be either masking true indicators, or it may be the root cause of the encoding lag.

Also, considering you're on ryzen, have you made sure your motherboard's bios is up to date?

And just to have a clear picture as to your monitor situation, as Volfield asked before... Do they have the same resolution and refresh rates? Also, how are they connected to your GPU?

I removed discord from my scene, when i tested out most of Volfield's solutions last night. I uploaded log file with my response.

Made sure to update my bios when i upgraded my pc a few weeks back.

I have 2 ultra wide lg monitors both 1080p:
Main daily + gaming monitor: LG - 29UM69G-B 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor
It has free-sync so through nvidia control panel capped at 60Hz
connected to gpu via display port
2ndary: LG - 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor
connected to gpu via HDMI
GPU only has 1 hdmi port so 2ndary will always be hdmi as it only has hdmi ports

I also can't use game capture, when i went dual monitor. Back then, I got black screen on OBS preview and on twitch. I tried OBS preview again this morning and it is still black screen. So, did not bother trying to stream.

Last edited:

carlmmii

I didn't notice the 2nd log file posted, sorry about that.

For the monitors, can you try disabling freesync and setting the refresh rate specifically to 60hz? Windows 10 has problems enough with monitors having different refresh rates, and that's without freesync.

Is your new monitor the freesync one, or were you using freesync before?

Chewy77

I didn't notice the 2nd log file posted, sorry about that.

For the monitors, can you try disabling free-sync and setting the refresh rate specifically to 60hz? Windows 10 has problems enough with monitors having different refresh rates, and that's without free-sync.

Is your new monitor the free-sync one, or were you using free-sync before?

The new free sync monitor became my main monitor.
Free sync has been disabled in the monitor settings since i got it.
I made sure NVIDIA control panel and windows were set the same way as well.
In the "Display adapter properties for Display 1" it is set to 60Hz. Although the "Advanced display settings" summary page says 59Hz (is that a problem?)

carlmmii

That shouldn't be a problem. Seems as if the displays are a red herring.

What's your CPU and GPU usage while you're capturing?