Question / Help How to use .WMV file format

DragonSlayah

I am trying to record gameplay in .wmv format for higher quality. For some reason, I am no longer able to do this on obs studio. I am on the latest version and everything. Please help. (Will attach images of settings)

Attachments

• Screenshot (50).png
    Screenshot (50).png
    87.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot (51).png
    Screenshot (51).png
    54.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot (52).png
    Screenshot (52).png
    55.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot (53).png
    Screenshot (53).png
    40 KB · Views: 164

SpectreKid

I am trying to record gameplay in .wmv format for higher quality. For some reason, I am no longer able to do this on obs studio. I am on the latest version and everything. Please help. (Will attach images of settings)
WMV and MP4 have the same quality, but apparently people always want to use .wmv for gameplay (this is not true.) Some random person on YouTube keeps giving advice to record at ridiculously high framerates such as 144, but this is not recommended (thanks @FerretBomb .
However if you insist, I think it might have the issue of being H265. I don't think .wmv files support HEVC, and if it does, HEVC has heavy licensing issues, meaning you have to pay for HEVC use. I would see if H264 or x264 would work better. However, it doesn't matter if you record in WMV or MP4, the quality will only be different if your bitrate is being modified.
Hope this gave some insight!

DragonSlayah

Ty I have tried, switching between all encoders and am still unable to. I tried (x264)(H264 AVC encoder)(H265 HEVC encoder)

I record in 144fps because that is my monitor refresh rate, it also is needed for velocity editing(Speed ramping) recording at a higher fps when downscaled can make it seem smoother.

Attachments

• Screenshot (54).png
    Screenshot (54).png
    59.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot (55).png
    Screenshot (55).png
    55.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot (56).png
    Screenshot (56).png
    69 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot (57).png
    Screenshot (57).png
    62.4 KB · Views: 70

Harold

Saving to WMV won't magically make your quality better, and saving to mp4 is recommended in precisely ZERO situations.
You should also NOT be using CBR for recording. You should be using CQP or CRF (depending on the encoder)

DragonSlayah

dude, you didn't even look at original posts, these are my settings.......

Encoder: H265 HEVC encoder
Quality Preset: Quality
Rate Control Method: VBR
Pre Pass: disabled
Target bitrate: 65000
Peak Bitrate: 100000

I could explain in depth why I want to use WMV but i would prefer if you guys could just show me how

DragonSlayah

i use vbr..... cool if you think i should use CQP or CRF that's fine. but I want to use .wmv because it retains more quality when uploaded to youtube and after compression. I cannot figure out a way to use it for some reason.... that's why i made this thread not to be told that I shouldn't be using VBR..... I would be willing to explain why I want to use VBR instead of another, but all I want help with is how to record in wmv could you help me with that?

Harold

The only way to save to WMV is in the "You're on your own" realm of custom ffmpeg output.
We won't be helping you with that.

SpectreKid

Alright, ty i will ask my friend who thought he was able to do it ty for your time :)
There is one thing you could do. You can use Handbrake to re-encode the video, but that will not be found here in the OBS Forums. OBS Studio does not officially support .wmv files.

@Harold Yes, CRF and CQP is good for recording, but if you have a terrible internet you might want to limit your bitrate. It is for more advanced OBS users, and CRF is a good way to get consistent quality.

@DragonSlayah I would recommend you to use mkv and then remux to mp4. Harold I know I meant remux to mp4

TryHD

@Harold Yes, CRF and CQP is good for recording, but if you have a terrible internet you might want to limit your bitrate. It is for more advanced OBS users, and CRF is a good way to get consistent quality.
Than you turn simply the crf value higher, but vbr and cbr is trash for recording and that always

FerretBomb

I'm... not entirely sure why you'd want to limit your bitrate, for a local recording. To speed up the later upload?
For that, it's a much better idea to use CQP/CRF for the real-time recording at a given quality level, do any editing, then use a non-realtime encode on the finished video to CRUNCH the file down small. Recording locally, you can toss a TON more bitrate at the problem... hard drives can handle WAY more write-speed than the bottleneck of most people's connections.

Most YT content creators I know try to deliver videos at as HIGH a bitrate/quality as possible to minimize the problems that YouTube's inherent re-encode of all uploaded files goes through though. Like hundreds of gigs big.
And yeah, WMV isn't supported. MKV is, and is the recording format of choice if you don't want any minor hiccup to destroy your entire recording.

SpectreKid

I'm... not entirely sure why you'd want to limit your bitrate, for a local recording. To speed up the later upload?
For that, it's a much better idea to use CQP/CRF for the real-time recording at a given quality level, do any editing, then use a non-realtime encode on the finished video to CRUNCH the file down small. Recording locally, you can toss a TON more bitrate at the problem... hard drives can handle WAY more write-speed than the bottleneck of most people's connections.

Most YT content creators I know try to deliver videos at as HIGH a bitrate/quality as possible to minimize the problems that YouTube's inherent re-encode of all uploaded files goes through though. Like hundreds of gigs big.
And yeah, WMV isn't supported. MKV is, and is the recording format of choice if you don't want any minor hiccup to destroy your entire recording.
It's just an idea, if your upload is constrained. If you have Fiber internet, you don't have to worry about limiting bitrate; just use CQP of 18 or CRF of some sort. IF you are like me, then use a bitrate, but don't worry about bitrates if you don't have to worry about your internet.

FerretBomb

Yes... but if you're uploading a recording, it doesn't matter how long it takes. You can just leave the upload running in the background no matter the size, and again, if uploading to YouTube you want to throw as BIG, HIGH-QUALITY video at it as possible, to minimize the mangling that their automatic re-encode of all uploaded files goes through.

Streaming? Yeah, your network connection is a concern. It's the big bottleneck.
Recording? Nah. Just be a little more patient and wait out the upload at the end of the process, if you want your videos to actually look good.

SpectreKid

Yes... but if you're uploading a recording, it doesn't matter how long it takes. You can just leave the upload running in the background no matter the size, and again, if uploading to YouTube you want to throw as BIG, HIGH-QUALITY video at it as possible, to minimize the mangling that their automatic re-encode of all uploaded files goes through.

Streaming? Yeah, your network connection is a concern. It's the big bottleneck.
Recording? Nah. Just be a little more patient and wait out the upload at the end of the process, if you want your videos to actually look good.
Yeah true. But sometimes you gotta upload video before your viewers wonder if you have quit YouTube lol