Resource icon

All Versions How to set up your own private RTMFP server using MonaServer

thomasJ

Hi DemonAura,

Hmm I don't how does Garry's Mod work. It is a Half-Life mod, no? I really don't see what do you want to do. Maybe if you can give me more informations it could help me :)

DemonAura

Well, yes, Garry's Mod is a Half-Life mod running on the Source engine. A third party group developed a gamemode called Cinema in which players can view videos from certain websites together. The source code is https://github.com/pixeltailgames/cinema

The services (or websites) that the theaters can read from are defined in lua scripts found here https://github.com/pixeltailgames/cinema/tree/master/cinema/gamemode/modules/theater/services

I'm not too skilled in lua to find if it's possible to set up the script to pick up on the rtmp service and display it. If you'd like, do you want to contact me personally through Skype or somewhere else to discuss this possibility?

thomasJ

Hi,

You can contact me at jammetthomas at gmail dot com,

Maybe it's already possible using the URL/HTTP service, do you know if it allows flash player clients?

nemesis668

Excuse me for being a total newbie, but need some help, basically I want to be able to stream my pc screen to my website so my friends can see what im doing. Can I do that with this? Also how. Ive been trying to do this for months. I know how to use obs and stream regualr to twitch however I want to run my own virtual machine that i can stream to and when my mates go to a website i say they will be able to see what im streaming. Thanks in advance for the help

thomasJ

Hi,

nemesis668 : Does the guide is not clear enough :(? If you have installed MonaServer you can do the following to access your stream :
1) Run MonaServer at least one time to create the "www" directory,
2) Then in this directory you can clone our MonaClients with the command above :
3) Then start to stream to MonaServer from OBS (using parameters in the guide),
4) And finally you can (without restarting Mona) access to http://<Mona's server address>/MonaClients/VideoPlayer/?fit&url=rtmfp://<Mona @>/<publication name>
(where publication name is the value of "Play Path/Stream Key" you've set in OBS)

Do you think a video guide is needed?

Michael : As described in our installation page you can set the "host" variable to your public IP in the MonaServer.ini configuration file.

nemesis668

Hi,

nemesis668 : Does the guide is not clear enough :(? If you have installed MonaServer you can do the following to access your stream :
1) Run MonaServer at least one time to create the "www" directory,
2) Then in this directory you can clone our MonaClients with the command above :
3) Then start to stream to MonaServer from OBS (using parameters in the guide),
4) And finally you can (without restarting Mona) access to http://<Mona's server address>/MonaClients/VideoPlayer/?fit&url=rtmfp://<Mona @>/<publication name>
(where publication name is the value of "Play Path/Stream Key" you've set in OBS)

Do you think a video guide is needed?

Michael : As described in our installation page you can set the "host" variable to your public IP in the MonaServer.ini configuration file.

A video guide would actually be great lol, you have to under stand there are some people who have no knowledge of this stuff and would love to learn, lets remember we all started with 0 knowledge and its people having a bit of patience and taking their time to explain it thoroughly to newbies that help the knowledge to be passed on. I will try set this up tonight with the guide provided and see how I go.

nemesis668

Right I've got it working I think, but how do I set the video player you supplied to auto play my stream to save people having to type it in themselves. I've looked at other players like JWplayer and flowplayer but they all seem to want you to pay these days

nemesis668

I've got the player you suggest working, but I need to know how to make it auto connect to my stream and auto player, also the quality is terrible and it's not my settings it's the player itself, any better players out there?

nemesis668

Ok got it working better now with intel quick synce, so just need to know how to make player auto play the stream i want, also how do i find the ip to give to my friends to connect and watch it because it clearly wont be the standard 127.0.0.0 one. it works perfect for me but thats because im local

nemesis668

Ok got this to work with another player and all works good, however I have noticed that the more I stream it starts filling up my hard drive, even when I exit the server it doesn't then free up the space it's take, So I assume it is creating a temp files somewhere and not clearing it, any ideas? Hopefully you will respond been waiting days for help and ended up figuring it out myself which is good but this could be a program problem if it keeps filling up HD space

thomasJ

Hi all, sorry nemesis, I have not seen your comments :/

So if you need autoplay you can use our player with this url for example :
http://raspi.monaserver.ovh/MonaClients/VideoPlayer/?fit&url=rtmfp://127.0.0.1/test123

It will fit to the window and connect to the publication named "test123" on the local machine,
For more information about arguments you can read the comments in the sources : https://github.com/MonaSolutions/MonaClients/blob/master/VideoPlayer/src/VideoPlayer.mxml#L25

Note : you can edit the VideoPlayer.html file and set directly arguments in the "flashvars" array to avoid seeing arguments in the navigation bar

You're right for video tutorial, I will keep it in mind!

About temp files MonaServer doesn't save anything to disk so it can be or OBS or flash player which growth temporary internet files, if you can find where the disk is filled up I could help you to resolve this.

ChrisTufnell

Hey,

I've just started playing around with MonaServer and while i have it working i'm not sure i'm using it in the most optimal way. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how i can improve things.

My Setup:
Gaming PC, 1440p, MP-OBS.
MonaServer PC, Classic OBS, Video Source Plugin.
Currently i have the MP-OBS capturing the Gaming PC, scaling down to 1080p60 and sending it onto the MonaServer PC.
On the MonaServer PC, Classic OBS is capturing the stream with the video source plugin and scaling it down to 720p60 before sending it on to twitch.

One question i have regarding the resolution is, would i be better off sending the full 1440p instead of scaling it locally on the gaming PC?

While testing QuickSync and NVenc, i found that QuickSync was giving me performance hits to game such as HotS and BF4. While with NVenc i notice no frame drops or performance hits.

Because i had no real information to go on i initially set the gaming PC to stream to MonaServer at 50,000kbs. Tbh it seemed to handle it just fine. I did drop this to 25 and 10 for testing but couldn't see any performance gains by doing that. (While using NVenc). If OBS is going to be down scaling twice (locally and on the MonaServer PC) would it be best to keep this bitrate as high as possible? Or because it will eventually leave Classic OBS at 2800-3500 (no higher) can i afford to drop it.

Eventually i'd like to send two gaming pc streams to the MonaServer for PiPs. Would duplicating the setup of the first gaming pc be the best course?

I hope this all makes sense, i'm not the most technically minded so if anything is unclear please just say and i'll have ago at rewritting it.

Thanks

-C

thomasJ

Hi Chris,

First I think you had a good idea to use the second OBS with video source plugin to share the stream to twitch. Another possibility should be to use FFmpeg. For this you can try this guide that seems good, just change the source "0:0" with the rtmp url.

About the scaling why don't you set directly the size to 720p60 on the MP-OBS PC? I think multiplying the scale operations is just a lost of time (but maybe I am missing something).

And for duplicating the setup I don't see any problem so let's go! :)

I hope it will help you

Regards and happy christmas

ChrisTufnell

Thank for the reply Thomas.

The FFmpeg might be above me, but i'll take a look. It is an alternative to to Quicksync/NVenc within the OBS. If so it might add more load to the CPU of the main machine. But if you mean from the slave machine to Twitch, yep could totally work. Using an old i5 2500k to encode it all.

Agreed, the double scaling does seem silly. I'm unsure how OBS handles scaling and how much stress that puts on the CPU over sending the 1440p directly. Something i think i'll just have to test.

Might be a few weeks but i'll reply with my findings and how things are working out. (At least in a two machine setup)

Many Thanks!