How to set OBS to record in constant frame rate?

Originals37

Hi, as some of you probably know working with variable frame rate in software like premiere pro can be quite annoying.

Is there any way how to set OBS to record in CFR (constant frame rate) instead of VFR (variable frame rate)?

I have tried to look in settings but couldn't find anything.

crayzcrinkle

Obs tries to record at a set framerate, which is set through Video > Settings.

It may be unable to constantly record it if your system is under too much load when playing a game, and dropping frames, but that should be noticeable when recording/streaming.

FerretBomb

Normally issues in Premiere come from people ignoring the DO NOT RECORD TO MP4 warning that pops up whenever it's selected.
It's there for a reason.
Premiere hates the mp4 files that OBS creates. Most video editing suites do.
Record to MKV if you need multi-track audio, or FLV if you do not. Then REMUX to MP4 from OBS' File menu, Remux Recordings. It takes seconds, and Premiere actually works nicely with remuxed mp4 files.

Originals37

Normally issues in Premiere come from people ignoring the DO NOT RECORD TO MP4 warning that pops up whenever it's selected.
It's there for a reason.
Record to MKV if you need multi-track audio, or FLV if you do not. Then REMUX to MP4 from OBS' File menu, Remux Recordings. It takes seconds, and Premiere actually works nicely with remuxed mp4 files.
That is exactly what I am doing... I asked about constant frame rate.

ChainsawMan

This issue was reported in 2020 with OBS 26, they still didn't fix it. https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/issues/3466
In order for you to fix it, don't remux with OBS and remux with Shutter Encoder. Select Ext. as .mp4 and type in choose function:
ffmpeg -map 0 -c copy -video_track_timescale 60
Since Premiere Pro has issue with .mp4 files being longer, you can either replace .mp4 to .mpg or extract audio and video files with Shutter Encoder and link them in Premiere.
Single Audio .m4a
ffmpeg -c:a copy -vn
Multiple Audio .m4a
ffmpeg -map 0 -c copy -vn
Video .mp4
ffmpeg -c:v copy -an -video_track_timescale 60

If you don't want to do this, then you need to wait for this issue to be fixed or use OBS 25.

pkellner

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm having the same issue with Premiere Pro and Adobe tells me there is not way to make OBS solve the problem. I notice I'm on OBS 27 and this post says something about OBS 25 having a fix.

I gather that I need to produce constant frame rate files. What's the best way to make that happen with OBS 27 now?

DayGeckoArt

It's there for a reason.

If you use NVENC HEVC there's no option to record to MKV

PhreakGirl

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm having the same issue with Premiere Pro and Adobe tells me there is not way to make OBS solve the problem. I notice I'm on OBS 27 and this post says something about OBS 25 having a fix.

I gather that I need to produce constant frame rate files. What's the best way to make that happen with OBS 27 now?

I use HandBrake to convert video / audio to Constant Frame rate. It's quick, easy & free.

travissickle

go to OBS settings >> output >> recording >> advanced >> and add 'force-cfr=1' to the custom muxer. Premiere Pro may still show VFR but this is may fix the issue.

prantikv

@Originals37 were you able to find a solution to this? I am recording in mkv and then remuxing to mp4 and get the clip mismatch warning in premiere pro. Searching the same is there a way set vfr to cfr?

travissickle

@Originals37 were you able to find a solution to this? I am recording in mkv and then remuxing to mp4 and get the clip mismatch warning in premiere pro. Searching the same is there a way set vfr to cfr?
In searching for an answer, I'm told that adobe will blame video formats not working on the vfr, however, if you search you'll also find that the detection of vfr for premiere pro is not accurate.

I think the issue comes from the REMUX of the MKV file. However, I'm not sure how accurate this is or if there is a real fix.