Question / Help How to send a UDP stream to computer outside my network?

ROODAY

So I followed this guide: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-studio-send-an-udp-stream-to-a-second-pc-using-obs.455/ and I successfully streamed my OBS to the same computer (using the multicast address and viewing the URL in MPC-HD). I'm confused on how to make it point to another computer however, my desired goal is to send my OBS output to my friend's OBS (using the Media Source). Is there a way to do a public multicast, or better yet send it directly? Would I just need his public IP:port and use that in my recording settings to send it to him? If so, what URL would he then use to view the stream? I'd really appreciate any info!

Tomasz Góral

Simple put public ip to ffmpeg (if you need redirect udp port), on you target PC.
ffmpeg -i udp://local_ip:port -c copy -f mpegts udp://224.0.0.1:port

in Media Source add udp://224.0.0.1:port

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Multicast will not work on the internet, you will need to put a unicast IP and ensure appropriate ports / firewall pass the traffic.

ROODAY

Hmm that's what I figured, I guess the proper way to do this would be set my recording output to
udp://<FRIENDS PUBLIC IP>:<PORT> and make sure he has his ports forwarded/open, and then he could view the stream at 127.0.0.1:<PORT>? I think I'm going to end up making an RTMP server anyways so we can more easily scale if we wanted more sources streamed to his computer, but this is useful to know!

asperi

Tried srt://127.0.0.1:10000?mode=listener in OBS stream and in VLC open network stream : srt://127.0.0.1:10000 but no luck.. EDIT- ha ok that worked, suppose it helps to click- "start streaming" :P Thanks!