How to schedule recording to start at a specific time?

Andyss

I want to record a zoom meetings, I have a link to it before the meeting and can join it long before it starts.
I see on OBS tools -> output timer there is a feature to stop recording after a certain interval, which is very nice.
However, how can I auto start recording at a specific time? Can anyone share a script or something?
Thanks a lot

Lawrence_SoCal

I use Advanced Scene switcher. In old versions, on the general tab, was on option to Start Record and/or Stream when on a certain scene
I combined that with using the Time tab on the same plugin to switch to a specific OBS Scene at a specific time. And then recording would start
With newer versions, I *think* the General tab on the plugin has changed (I believe and what I use is no longer there due to functionality having been moved) and the more common approach (??) is to use the Macro functionality in the plugin

Warmuptill

I believe and what I use is no longer there due to functionality having been moved) and the more common approach (??) is to use the Macro functionality in the plugin
Correct :)
You can create a macro similar to this one:
ScheduleRecording.PNG

Let me know if you have any questions!

cyclemat

the macro function is easy when then !

when time XXX then Start Stream !

chumpythelion

Hi @ElladeM, here's a list of steps for how to schedule OBS recordings, using the Advanced Scene Switcher plug-in method recommended by @Warmuptill:
  1. Install the plug-in: Advanced Scene Switcher | OBS Forums (obsproject.com) open the link and click on the button at top right of the page called "Go to download".
  2. Now at OBS open the plug-in by clicking on top left of your screen "Tools" → "Advanced Scene Switcher".
  3. Start the plug-in by clicking on the "Start" button (under the "General" tab). This will change the status from Inactive to Active. You need the plug-in to be running for whatever macros you set later to work!
  4. Now go to the "Macro" tab. Add a new Macro by clicking on the "+" button. Set your settings as shown in the helpful screenshot above by @Warmuptill.
  5. Make sure the checkbox next to your Macro name is ticked.
  6. It should work! :)

Some things to take note of:
  • In the Macro settings, the time is in 24h setting in the format HH:MM:SS. So for example 11.30pm should be input as "23:30:00".
  • Remember to adjust your recording settings! Once your set your Macro to the correct date and time and set Advanced Scene Switcher status to be active, then OBS will just automatically start recording at your scheduled time. So make sure prior to that you have all your recording settings finalised.

PaiSand

You should ask this in the specific plugin thread. In there the creator can see it and give you support.

AaronD

Would you please suggest if this strategy still works or if this one using Windows would work better ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsC4-oAk8Us
Looks to me like a Rube-Goldberg way to avoid the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin. Yes, the video works, but you have settings all over the place to control what is logically a single operation, and each setting has a different way to get to it and a different way to maintain it if your needs should change. Good luck remembering all of that!

With Adv. SS, you can have everything all in one place, except for one, which is only to start OBS at all. No special options needed, just start it. Everything else is done in Adv. SS.

To "just start it", I would recommend using the old "Startup" folder. It seems to have disappeared from the user interface, but the functionality is still there. Open the start menu, right-click the OBS launcher like the video says, but stop when it opens the folder. Copy that shortcut, go up a folder, create a new folder called "Startup" (without quotes) if there isn't one already, and paste the shortcut in there. Now OBS will start with Windows.

As long as OBS is running, Adv. SS can do everything else, using the Macros.

If you want to use OBS for something else too, without messing up the automated one, then you can modify both shortcuts to use different options. obs --help in the Command Prompt to see all that you can do there. Add the appropriate options to both shortcuts, so they don't run over each others' profiles and scene collections, don't complain about each other, and generally play nice, but no more than that. Again, all of the automation is in Adv. SS, and nowhere else. (Adv. SS's settings are in the scene collection, so that's already covered)

PCOwner

Looks to me like a Rube-Goldberg way to avoid the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin. Yes, the video works, but you have settings all over the place to control what is logically a single operation, and each setting has a different way to get to it and a different way to maintain it if your needs should change. Good luck remembering all of that!

With Adv. SS, you can have everything all in one place, except for one, which is only to start OBS at all. No special options needed, just start it. Everything else is done in Adv. SS.

To "just start it", I would recommend using the old "Startup" folder. It seems to have disappeared from the user interface, but the functionality is still there. Open the start menu, right-click the OBS launcher like the video says, but stop when it opens the folder. Copy that shortcut, go up a folder, create a new folder called "Startup" (without quotes) if there isn't one already, and paste the shortcut in there. Now OBS will start with Windows.

As long as OBS is running, Adv. SS can do everything else, using the Macros.

If you want to use OBS for something else too, without messing up the automated one, then you can modify both shortcuts to use different options. obs --help in the Command Prompt to see all that you can do there. Add the appropriate options to both shortcuts, so they don't run over each others' profiles and scene collections, don't complain about each other, and generally play nice, but no more than that. Again, all of the automation is in Adv. SS, and nowhere else. (Adv. SS's settings are in the scene collection, so that's already covered)

Thank you, but I am still not getting on how to add the downloaded zip contents of the Switcher to OBS?

Also, how to find the Start Menu? Is this In Win 10/11 ?

PCOwner

I think I figured out how to install/add the swticher to OBS. Now, there are additional downloads available, like Macros, do I need these? How to add the additional downloads of the swtcher to OBS?
Also. how to set a timer to start and stop recordings of my screen?

AaronD

I think I figured out how to install/add the swticher to OBS. Now, there are additional downloads available, like Macros, do I need these? How to add the additional downloads of the swtcher to OBS?
Also. how to set a timer to start and stop recordings of my screen?
I see you've asked in the plugin thread. You're much more likely to get a good answer there, so I'll just let it happen. You still have some misunderstandings, but they'll get cleared up over there too.