Question / Help How to move 1 scene from Scene colletion to another scene collection?

tremanalia

Hi!

I don't understand u problem.
In OBS u have a scenes that contain sources.
And u can convert a scene in source for another scene.
And u can merge somes source in one group.

In all cases, u can move this with copy/paste: Select what u want to move and press right button of u mouse and select copy, and u paste the content in another scene with Paste (Duplicated).

Greetings
Tremanalia

shineloot

Hi!

I don't understand u problem.
In OBS u have a scenes that contain sources.
And u can convert a scene in source for another scene.
And u can merge somes source in one group.

In all cases, u can move this with copy/paste: Select what u want to move and press right button of u mouse and select copy, and u paste the content in another scene with Paste (Duplicated).

Greetings
Tremanalia

Hi, i want to move 1 scene from scene collection to another scene collection. How i can do this?

Скриншот 2019-04-17 13.54.58.png

Last edited:

scwfan06

thanks, but i hope maybe anyone have solution...
The only way I see is to manually copy the needed source from the .json file of collection 1 to the file of collection 2.
You can find the files in
X:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\basic\scenes

Last edited:

shineloot

The only way I see is to manually copy the needed source from the .json file of collection 1 to the file of collection 2.
You can find the files in
X:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\basic\scenes
thank you for your help.

Write here, If who know another method

Goyo F

Hi, i want to move 1 scene from scene collection to another scene collection. How i can do this?

View attachment 44839
Greetings!

I think I found a way. In the 'Sources' window select all items (Control-A). Create a new scene in the 'Scenes' window. Then click in the 'Sources' window and paste (Control-V). I did it and it worked. However, the settings (size and position) are not the same. You have to tweak them. Better than recreating and entire scene from scratch.

CravenInsomniac

Greetings!

I think I found a way. In the 'Sources' window select all items (Control-A). Create a new scene in the 'Scenes' window. Then click in the 'Sources' window and paste (Control-V). I did it and it worked. However, the settings (size and position) are not the same. You have to tweak them. Better than recreating and entire scene from scratch.

Just a heads up. Based on the method you described you are referring to copy sources from within a scene to another scene within this same Scene Collection. This method does not work when attempting to copy sources from one Scene Collection to another.

CravenInsomniac

Well, maybe another person here knows more about what you want to do...

That's completely understandable, but there's a reason this ideas.obsproject.com still exists. This feature has been a suggestion since 2018 and they've yet to add it. It hasn't gotten enough interaction, that's why they've kept it on the back-burner.

EDIT: The more technical reason this is not a feature is due to the slew of incompatible issues that would arise, such as; nested scenes, name conflicts, 3rd-party addons, etc... These make such a feature difficult to implement. Also, it may just be me, but it appears that the most recent update of OBS (25.0.8) has limited Pasting References to pasting within the same Scene Collection. I attempted the methods you and Goyo F described and it appears that the "Paste (Reference)" button is grayed out upon switching Scene Collections.

Last edited:

JVRaines

Let's face it, vital but utilitarian features like this are not sexy to write. They are boring and have lots of details. That's why we get fun stuff like stinger transitions while elementary copy-paste features languish. If I were a C programmer, I'd dig in because I need this function as much as anyone.

FerretBomb

At present the only way to make a duplicate of one Scene into another Scene Collection is to make a duplicate of the original Scene Collection, switch to the copy, then delete all the other Scenes in the duplicate SC.

I do not believe copy/pasting from the JSON between SCs will work, as the Scenes reference Sources set up in earlier header blocks elsewhere in the JSON. So you'd have to go through, copy the Scene block and ALL dependency Sources, then paste them into the destination SC's JSON file.
You could probably write a script to do this, but as far as I know, no one has taken the time to do so. The clumsy 'duplicate SC and delete everything you don't want' method has worked too well as a stopgap.