Question / Help How to configure multiple sources for display on secondary monitor

Sky Ready RC

I have 6 SD video sources (FPV drone receivers) connected to a Magewell video capture box, with the capture box connected to a laptop computer. A secondary monitor is connected to the laptop via HDMI cable. I have six Scenes set up in OBS Studio, one for each video Source.

I want to display ONLY the 6 video sources on the secondary monitor (tiled in a 2 x 3 configuration ... 2 rows x 3 columns). I have positioned the 6 video Sources in OBS studio in TWO rows of THREE. I can get the 6 video Sources to display on the secondary monitor, but there is also ONE column of TWO windows being displayed on the right. How do I get rid of these two larger windows? Don't even know what they are for, or why they are showing up on the external monitor.

I want to ONLY show the 6 video Sources on the external monitor, tiled as 2 rows by 3 columns. The attached image illustrates the image I am currently seeing on the external monitor. If what I am trying to do is not possible in OBS Studio, then can someone suggest some other software that will do this?
OBS-Multiview.png

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

carlmmii

I'm slightly confused how you're viewing the composited sources in the image you have. You say you have a scene set up for each source -- why?

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to achieve what you want is just to have a single scene which has all 6 capture sources laid out in whatever configuration you want (just drag/resize around the canvas). Then, right-click on the scene and select the option to output as a projector on the monitor that you want.

Sky Ready RC

Thank you for the response. I did create a single scene at first, then laid out the 6 capture sources in a 2 x 3 configuration on the canvas, but then the six sources were duplicated on the secondary monitor 8 times, plus the two larger windows. I have never heard of right-clicking on the scene and selecting the option to output as a projector, but I will try that, and report back.

koala

The screenshot shows the multiview in vertical layout. It's a helper for choosing a scene the director wants to be live. It's a scene chooser, not a tool for compositing the scene layout. The scenes from where you can choose are on the left, and the larger 2 windows on the right are the 2 studio-mode previews: the top-right is the scene you can edit and goes life if you make it so, and the bottom-right is the scene that is actually life. The default layout for the multiview is "Horizontal, left", and you changed it to "Vertical, left" to get the above picture.

Now it is unclear what kind of video you want to create. Do you want to show the output of one camera and be able to switch between your cameras? In this case, you chose the correct scene layout, and with the multiview you can switch between scenes. The big windows on the right stay there, they are important while you actually streaming. As far as I know, you cannot remove them from the multiview. It is also not possible to customize the 2x8 layout - this is fixed for the multiview.

If you want your video always contain all 6 cameras simultaneously, you have to rearrange your scenes. Move all 6 camera sources to the same scene and resize them to occupy 1/6 of the canvas and arrange them in a 3x2 layout or whatever layout you want. You have to do this manually, there is no "fit 6 sources automatically".
If you do this, you get 1 scene with all 6 cameras, and then for preview, you don't use the multiview but right-click the canvas and use the Fullscreen Projector to cast the preview of the current scene that contains all 6 cameras to your external monitor.

Last edited:

Sky Ready RC

carlmmii and koala, thank you both for the help. After creating ONE scene, adding 6 input sources and arranging the canvas to have two rows of three video sources, then right-clicking the scene and selecting the second display, it works perfectly. The 2 x 3 grid of input sources is now appearing fullscreen on the second monitor.

We were previously clicking View > Multiview > Display, which is NOT what we wanted.

Thanks again!