Question / Help How to capture window AND drop down menus?

pjrestrepo

Hello, I am new to OBS. I looked for a similar question already on the forum, but couldn't find it. So, here it is: I am running Windows 10 on an Intel laptop with a single GPU. I need to create a training video for a program I wrote. It has drop-down menus. If I use "Window Capture" as a source, OBS excludes the program's frame, including the program top menu and the drop-down items. For a training video, it is absolutely critical to show the menus. I've tried all three choices for the Windows Source option: "Window Title must match", "Match Title, otherwise find window of the same type", and "Match Title, otherwise find window of the same executable". None of them shows the program menu. The way I read it, the third option should show the drop-down list, since it is created from the same executable.

If I choose "Display Capture" as the source, then, yes, it captures everything, but it clutters the training video too much. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Am I missing something? or this is the way it is suppose to work?.

I added three images: 1) screen dump of the actual program window; 2) What OBS captures with Window Capture, and 3) What OBS captures with Display Capture. Display Capture.PNGWindow Capture.PNGScreenDump.PNG

Attachments

• 2019-07-06 17-26-57.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

DarkerSide

Sorry to resurrect this old post, but it's exactly the same question I have and I can't find it answered anywhere else in search - what's the best way to capture a window and it's surrounding frame, with menu dropdown (eg your usual, File, Edit things if you're using MS Windows).

Couldn't see any options in Window Capture to include the frame - is the only option to capture the display and then use a crop?

carlmmii

Yes. Display capture is the only method. Window capture will only capture the base window layer.