How to capture desktop audio on Mac?

KatanaSFB3000

The obs does not capture the output audio source.
MacOS Monterey. OBS 27.1 RC2.
Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/Ap4MA90jB59y8c9O
Снимок экрана 2021-09-11 в 16.53.57.png
Снимок экрана 2021-09-11 в 16.54.06.png
Снимок экрана 2021-09-11 в 16.54.16.png

GaryM

I have the same issue....
I found this...
Apple has disabled the sound recording from Mac system. Luckily there are third-party tools or programs can help us with desktop audio or system sound recording on Mac, notably the SoundFlower and Loopback.

My MAC would not allow SoundFlower to be installed.

KatanaSFB3000

I found this...
Apple has disabled the sound recording from Mac system. Luckily there are third-party tools or programs can help us with desktop audio or system sound recording on Mac, notably the SoundFlower and Loopback.

My MAC would not allow SoundFlower to be installed.
Thanks for the answer. Can you tell me where I can learn more about why Apple disabled this feature?

modtitan

Depending on what version of macOS you're running you may need to go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and make sure OBS is selected for microphone access (as well as camera and screen recording).
1631542910535.png

kreepy

This application does not allow you to monitor the output audio through the MacBook speakers if you select this application in the audio output source. And I also need the sound to go to the broadcast, and so that I can listen to audio through the MacBook speakers.

i believe you want to include audio from Mac player, or browser to broadcast? I have multi output as source. The order of checking boxes matter though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 10.58.14 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 10.58.14 am.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 26,525
Just throwing another option in the ring - in macOS, VB-Cable or another similar program as your audio output. Capture VB-Cable/equivalent in OBS. If you need to hear what's coming in, monitor that input to an audio device which isn't VB-Audio (your speakers, headphones, etc)

This won't work for everyone, but for a basic setup it's a quick and easy workaround.

Village Hiker

Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba captures system audio. Audio Hijack is a commercial product—that is not free. Now and then Rogue Amoeba also charges for a major upgrade. Rogue Amoeba does really useful software. BTW, I also use TeX and LaTeX in my business and write an intro doc for MacTeX, so know the value of open source-ish projects.

sgvn

I am writing that in case it may help someone who still struggling even after using the blackhole/soundflower solution etc.
I was also getting crazy with this issue, tried Soundflower, blackhole and every tutorial or forum tip I could find and it never worked. It finally worked when I decided to stop trying to use the solution of the multi-output device. What I simply did is open OBS, go to Settings, Audio, select Default for Desktop Audio, select the device I need for Mic/Auxiliary Audio, apply settings, and close. Then go to the Audio Mixer, click on the gray wheel in Desktop Audio, click on Advanced Audio Properties, and for the Mic/Aux, select Monitor Only in the Audio Monitoring tab. Everything worked. I am on MacOS Big Sur 11.5.2.

Hal_sal

Hey! What worked for me is:
Settings > Audio
Under “Advanced” “Monitoring Device” choose your output device, like headphones or speakers, click Ok.
Under your Audio Mixer dock, go to Advanced Audio Properties (the gears).
Next to your Audio Inputs, select “Monitor and Output” from the Audio Monitoring drop-down.

I’ve been trying to figure this out for 2 hours so hopefully this works for you!

EnzoKuruhi

Hello! I found a guide posted by OBS themselves that helps resolves the audio capture issue for Macs. Personally, the issue itself is very confusing as I came from using OBS on PC, where things are a bit more straight forward. Nonetheless, here's the link:

Once you select the Mac as the display capture source, quit OBS and reopen it. You should have captured audio by then.

Hope this helps ^^

DayGeckoArt

Hello! I found a guide posted by OBS themselves that helps resolves the audio capture issue for Macs. Personally, the issue itself is very confusing as I came from using OBS on PC, where things are a bit more straight forward. Nonetheless, here's the link:

Once you select the Mac as the display capture source, quit OBS and reopen it. You should have captured audio by then.

Hope this helps ^^
I'm using the latest Ventura on an M2 Air I just bought. Audio recording worked fine a few days ago with just setting the permissions in the OS settings. But now the only desktop audio device I can see is "Disabled"!

selimkhanli

Just throwing another option in the ring - in macOS, VB-Cable or another similar program as your audio output. Capture VB-Cable/equivalent in OBS. If you need to hear what's coming in, monitor that input to an audio device which isn't VB-Audio (your speakers, headphones, etc)

This won't work for everyone, but for a basic setup it's a quick and easy workaround.
Registered just to respond to this. It worked! I already had the VB-Cable, so what one needs to do is to:

1. Set VB-Cable as an Output source in the computer's settings
2. Set VB-Cable as a Device in Desctop Audio of OBS
3. Go to Advance Audio Properties of Desktop Audio of OBS and set the Audio Monitoring to Monitor and Output
4. Go to Preferences of OBS, then in Audio, go to Advanced, and in Monitoring Device, choose the desired output that one uses (in my case, it's a headphone)

Thanks, dude, that was helpful.