How to add captions (not on livestream)?

TimoSan

Hi Guys,

I have a very (very) basic question, which I didn't find answered around here anywhere. I want to create videos and then afterwards add captions to it (so we are not talking about streaming). I don't know whether this can be done within OBS or maybe by adding a captions by providing a file (like .srt).

Everything that I come up with googling or searching this forum is fancy livestream speech recognition content, but what I need is much more basic. Maybe anyone can point me in the direction where I need to go.

Thanks a lot,
Timo

So my understanding is you want to record through OBS not live stream.
if thats the case you can just load the recorded video to a video editing software and add text captions that way.
yes it can be a long time consuming way

TimoSan

Thanks for the answer. I am pretty new to this and I was thinking that OBS was itself a video editing software where I can add captions. But apparently this is not the case and it's rather for recording than for editing.

Do you have a recommendation for a video editing software on Ubuntu? Just pushing my luck here...

Thanks for the answer. I am pretty new to this and I was thinking that OBS was itself a video editing software where I can add captions. But apparently this is not the case and it's rather for recording than for editing.

Do you have a recommendation for a video editing software on Ubuntu? Just pushing my luck here...
unfortunately no i am not familiar with unbuntu,
the video editing software that my wife uses to upload to youtube is NCH videopad editing software. my limited knowledge and use of this is you can add multiple video clips, songs, images, text or voiceover clips ect on a timline like view

sorry i couldnt be more helpful

JohnPee

Have a look at Davinci Resolve which is a multi-platform video editing program. They have a free version that is missing a few high-level functions but what you want to do would appear relatively straightforward.

TimoSan

Thanks @Dazzler33d, you helped push me into the right direction and took the time to answer my question, which is more than many others did who read this. So you did indeed were very helpful, thanks! :)

Thank also @JohnPee, I will check out Davinci for sure!