Question / Help How do I capture the audio for a DJ stream (iMac no line in)

Stewejo

I have spent months saving / buying cdjs, a mixer, speakers, webcams, iMac etc with my intention to get my live stream going. I’ve been following the DJ City walkthrough on OBS. I’m at the point where I need to add the audio capture, but my 2013 iMac has no line in? I’m going from my 2000 nexus to my iMac, any help with how I do this would be very appreciated! Thanks (p.s I’m a complete tech dinosaur, an idiots guide with exact hardware, cables, ports etc would be needed so I don’t mess it up)

Narcogen

If there's a driver for that device, just plugging it into a USB port should be enough. You should consult your manual and the manufacturer's website to see if there is software you need to install.

DjPeterL

I have two macs One for OBS streaming the other with my dj set up with Traktor.The OBS Mac has a USB sound card with 1,2 inputs that connect to the tape out or booth out of the mixer.In the OBS Mac i selected the USB sound card with the Mixer connected to it as my "Audio Input Capture" that's pretty much it.

USB is how you will be ingesting audio into your Mac. It sounds like you have a mixer that also acts as an interface, so the master stereo out of the mixer will be sent to your Mac over USB.

In System Prefs (under the apple menu) go to the Sound tab. Set your USB Device as the input. Not sure how you have monitors/speakers set up but here you would set them as the output.

Open Audio Midi Setup and repeat what you have just done (if it already doesnt mirror what you just did in Sys Prefs) - that is your USB device as input, and possible output by right-clicking and choosing "Use this device as sound input/output"

In OBS, select your scene. Add an audio input. Choose your USB device as the audio source. In the OBS prefs on the Audio tab; set ALL devices to disabled (I find this messes things up and adding an audio source to each scene is far more reliable). Set the monitoring device to your USB device.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.15.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.14.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.14.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 11.12.51 AM.png