Question / Help How can I record from Camcorder?

TheyCallMeLoaf

I'm currently building my new PC for streaming and recording for lets plays and twitch.

I will not be using a webcam, well I'd rather not use one anyways...

That being said I'd like to use my PJ260V Camcorder if possible

From what I can tell this video camera does not have live-view, so I believe I will need a capture card. However, it , seems I'm running into issues here as well as I plan on streaming/recording both console and PC games - I'm not able to find a way to capture from Camcorder AND console at the same time, or even Camcorder AND PC at the same time as products such as Avermedia Live Gamer Portable and the PCI-E version only have one HDMI in and only support capture from one source.

I will be streaming and recording in very high quality, I know that Markiplier, Pewdiepie, and Jacksepticeye all record on camcorders now and the quality and reliability difference is noticeable from their comments about it all.

How might I best go about getting this done properly, I'd appreciate any tips and advice. Thank you. (Yes I will be using OBS)

i4790K
GTX 970 - SLI
16GB Ram
Windows 7
ASUS Z97-A

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you want to capture both a console and a camcorder, you will need 2 capture cards (one for each). PCI-E or USB 3.0 capture cards are recommended.

If you're just capturing your PC and not a console, just get one capture card for the camcorder and use other capture methods to capture the PC.

TheyCallMeLoaf

Thanks dodgepong, if using the capturecard for camcorder... what would be the best capture method to use as to not take any significant hits on performance? I'm not too concerned at the moment with my specs, but when the Oculus CV1 comes out I want to make sure I am prepared.

How are most people capturing their face when they record console gaming? Webcam route?

FerretBomb

Most go the webcam route, yes.

I'd actually recommend cruising eBay for a Datapath VisionRGB-E2. It's a medical imaging grade PCIe card that can capture up to 1080p@60, and has two capture channels (essentially it's two capture cards in one). Be aware that it can only capture DVI and HDMI, and doesn't cap audio (so you'll need to come up with another method for that, and re-sync the audio to the video). They cost about $700+ new, but eBay usually has them come up now and then for under $200.

Up side, there's even a direct access capture plugin for OBS for the Datapath cards, that reduces the capture overhead to negligible levels.

Do be aware that SLI can cause issues with OBS and livestreaming in general. Also, if you aren't a Twitch partnered channel, all of this is massive overkill given the realistic technical limitations imposed on a non-partner.

TheyCallMeLoaf

I will check it out, right now audio is going from AT2020 Condenser XLR to Saffire Pro 2i4, to PC so that is taken care of :)

It seems I can use my camera as a webcam using Firewire/DV has any support been added for this?

FerretBomb

Yup, but you'll also need to bring in console audio, and not over the mixer; if you do that, the console audio will be offset the same as the mic is, so likely either your lipsync or the console's audio sync will be off, and unable to be adjusted. If your mixer is going in over a USB interface, may be able to split console audio and feed it in via your sound card/onboard audio's Line In, and set that up as the cap card channel's audio device.

If your cam shows up as a webcam to the system, OBS should be able to grab it as a standard Video Capture device, as with any webcam.

TheyCallMeLoaf

I hate syncing audio and try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary, I think the best option right now is to see how my OBS likes connection of my camera through firewire. I know it works with Xsplit but I have seen some issues here of firewire incompatability on OBS so I'm not sure if it has been fixed - If that fails I will probably get a capture card.

Whats the CPU hit like in streaming/recording without a capture card?

FerretBomb

Capture cards do not offload CPU or GPU resources (unless you use their devoted streaming software, which produces low-quality video), despite the weasel-worded marketing that AverMedia continues to push.

Capture via DirectShow depends on the content you're pulling in. The direct access plugin bypasses DirectShow entirely, so is much lower impact.

Only way is to test it and find out, I suppose. Never really was a fan of Firewire's problems, foibles and associated jackfru- er, jackboots-by-association.