HIGH GPU USAGE (40-100%)

CyrusAllery

I have started streaming with obs and now my computer randomly jumps to 100% and my frames drop to 20fps in game. my GPU usage idles at 40% and jumps to 100%. What could be causing this? I have hardware acceleration disabled and have tried messing with graphics settings and turning off the preview but nothing works.

Ryzen 7 2700x CPU
Nvidia 2070 Super GPU
Windows 10
ROG Strix MB

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
When the GPU usage spikes, which app is reporting the high GPU usage? Remember to expand apps like OBS to show sub-processes (in this case browser sources)

CyrusAllery

When the GPU usage spikes, which app is reporting the high GPU usage? Remember to expand apps like OBS to show sub-processes (in this case browser sources)
I usually use task manager or nzxt cam. I will expand obs in task manager and the browser will say 0 being used but obs studio will idle at 40-45 and spike to 100 making my game drop frames

CyrusAllery

1598794893722.png

krabby12

I have the same problem. I only realise it when playing squad because that game is pretty heavy. When i get longer into the stream like 45+ minutes, it starts going to 30% gpu and short after that it just goes to like 100% making it impossible to play the game. The only part that shows the gpu going that high in taskmanager is 64 bit part. Its just weird why it only does it after some time. its also not always after the same amount of time its just random. havent had it with any other game before im pretty sure. Also maybe to mention, the ram is usually at 600 MB for obs. but sometimes just goes up to 1.100 MB. Im encoding via my CPU.

My specs are:
8700k 3.8 ghz
1060 6gb
16 gb ram 3600mhz

dmemphis

Is running OBS on the same machine as the game good practice?
If you could employ a second machine and capture card I think you would have
a lot less problems. Seems like there would be contention for the GPU and the bus
in addition to CPU cycles. I don't know how the NVIDIA libraries work, but it seems like a real crap shoot that communications with the GPU would work out as well as you need them to, let alone coordinate well between the game and OBS.

Citflux

Is running OBS on the same machine as the game good practice?
If you could employ a second machine and capture card I think you would have
a lot less problems. Seems like there would be contention for the GPU and the bus
in addition to CPU cycles. I don't know how the NVIDIA libraries work, but it seems like a real crap shoot that communications with the GPU would work out as well as you need them to, let alone coordinate well between the game and OBS.
For me the issue always happens regardless of how much GPU is being used. I can have only OBS open and it will randomly spike with no stream or recording

dmemphis

Oh interesting. That's something completely different. OBS periodically querying something of the GPU? Hard to picture why it would do a burst of activity. May depend on how OBS is set up
and whether something is inherently transcoding. In my understanding, the only thing OBS uses the GPU specifically for is transcoding, which is supposed to be using those HVENC modules of the GPU. If you have your Settings->Video->Base different from your ->Output, there could be transcoding going on all the time, even if you haven't turned on streaming or recording.
I'm guessing at all this because I have to guess at the internals of OBS... I made a post here asking for an internal block/flow diagram. Nothing yet. Maybe you can isolate it by makeing sure all the video parameters are the same for every area of OBS so no transcodes are implied at all anywhere.

Citflux

Oh interesting. That's something completely different. OBS periodically querying something of the GPU? Hard to picture why it would do a burst of activity. May depend on how OBS is set up
and whether something is inherently transcoding. In my understanding, the only thing OBS uses the GPU specifically for is transcoding, which is supposed to be using those HVENC modules of the GPU. If you have your Settings->Video->Base different from your ->Output, there could be transcoding going on all the time, even if you haven't turned on streaming or recording.
I'm guessing at all this because I have to guess at the internals of OBS... I made a post here asking for an internal block/flow diagram. Nothing yet. Maybe you can isolate it by makeing sure all the video parameters are the same for every area of OBS so no transcodes are implied at all anywhere.
im trying to grasp some of what you said but it seems to fly over my head a bit but i think i understand the gest. I play at 1440p on my monitor but have both the output and scaled to 1664x936 so usage is less. is there an issue there possibly?

dmemphis

Maybe make a screen shot of your Settings-> video dialog and your Settings->output dialog.
In any case, I am not sure what what OBS might be doing on behalf of the record path and the stream path even though they aren't active. It could be doing all the pre-processing so that it is ready to go when you turn them on, in which case there could be GPU activity going on for those purposes. I'm only trying to give some explanation to support that GPU spikes might be expected even when not actively streaming and recording. It might even use the GPU for scaling the preview and program monitors... I don't know because the internal workings have not come to my attention as of yet.

Citflux

Maybe make a screen shot of your Settings-> video dialog and your Settings->output dialog.
In any case, I am not sure what what OBS might be doing on behalf of the record path and the stream path even though they aren't active. It could be doing all the pre-processing so that it is ready to go when you turn them on, in which case there could be GPU activity going on for those purposes. I'm only trying to give some explanation to support that GPU spikes might be expected even when not actively streaming and recording. It might even use the GPU for scaling the preview and program monitors... I don't know because the internal workings have not come to my attention as of yet.

dmemphis

That looks in order. So your resolution is high on everything but I suppose the point is to
output all the bits you see in your game. I would expect there not to be any transcoding
input equals all outputs. I would have expected that there would be no load on the GPU until you start streaming and/or recording, when OBS would begin encoding the output. So, it comes around to your original observation, spikes on the GPU by OBS... I can't explain why, the answer would only be those who understand the internals. Sorry I tried to help.

dmemphis

Don't know! I have seen folks try older versions of the BM software to see how it affects things.
You might want to experiment with that some.