High Framerate recording

DrWolf33

Ok, so basically I want to do the 240fps to 60fps frame blending thing, but whenever I record it lags (like 3-5fps recording, not in games). I'll attach images of my settings and a video showing the framerate (the video is rendered in 2560x1440 at 60fps with frame blending on and it looks terrible because of the fps)
Also it should run fine considering I have an rtx 3080 and an i9-10900k.
Link to the video showcasing the framerate is help - YouTube
obs2.PNG
obs1.PNG

Attachments

• obs1.PNG
    obs1.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 161

FerretBomb

Recording above 60fps is not officially supported; exceeding 60 is entirely at-your-own-risk, and we cannot provide support for it.

The advice I can give is that to record 240fps, you will need a total frame time under 4ms end-to-end. You can check out the timing tree at the bottom of your completed logfile to see where you may be exceeding this, leading to the frame skips.

Even having good hardware, if you have a bottleneck somewhere... flooded PCIe bus, GPU on x8 mode instead of x16, slow hard drive, whatever, it will cause frame skips. A top-fuel supercar has the capacity to go very fast, but depends on the driver to configure and drive it well to actually do so.
I'd suggest using Shadowplay for the actual recording. It's much simpler (so less to go wrong), and 'closer to metal' as it were, so can do some neat proprietary tricks that nVidia doesn't share with anyone else, like zero-cost framebuffer access.

D

Deleted member 121471

Would need a log for more suggestions but you have more issues than just the 240 FPS nonsense.

You're recording at 1440p and 240FPS and chose CBR with bitrate set at 20000 Kbps.

For proper recording, CQP is the absolute best option with a value of 16-20 being the most commonly used, (lower value=higher quality at the cost of storage space).

For that resolution and recorded FPS, if you're hellbent on using CBR, you'd need to set the bitrate to 90000 Kbps minimum to maintain decent/good image quality. Even if your system can manage perfect recording without dropped frames, your current bitrate would be extremely insufficient for your use case, as soon as high or even mid motion occurs on the captured source.

Recording to .mp4 has that large orange/yellow Warning for a very good reason. Instead, record to .mkv so you can, at least, recover your recording if anything causes OBS to not finalize the file correctly. You can remux it afterwards through OBS Main Window--->File--Remux Recordings.

Disabling Psycho Visual Tuning lessens the load on your graphics card without sacrificing much quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthNox

Ok, so basically I want to do the 240fps to 60fps frame blending thing, but whenever I record it lags (like 3-5fps recording, not in games). I'll attach images of my settings and a video showing the framerate (the video is rendered in 2560x1440 at 60fps with frame blending on and it looks terrible because of the fps)
Also it should run fine considering I have an rtx 3080 and an i9-10900k.
Link to the video showcasing the framerate is help - YouTube
View attachment 68731View attachment 68730
I am a person who also records in high fps and here is what I recommend.

Make sure you are getting the fps you are getting ingame is above what you record

ALWAYS run obs as administrator.

Right click your preview window and disable it.

With high fps obs tends to break/give less performance while using more than 1 audio track I suggest you set it to 1.

(Bellow I am telling you what to change. If something is not listed than you are good for that setting)
In output
Rate Control: CQP
CQP: 16-20 (start at 16 and if you are still getting encoding lag raise it by 1)
Preset: Max Performance (there is no difference in image quality between Quality and Max Performance while using CQP)
Psycho Visual Tuning: off (this makes your final render look weird if you render in 60 fps, and utilizes more of your gpu which can cause encoding lag)
Max B-Frames: 0

In video
Downscale filter: Bilinear (you are not downscaling)

Last edited:

FerretBomb

Make sure you are getting the fps you are getting ingame is above what you record

With high fps obs tends to break/give less performance while using more than 1 audio track I suggest you set it to 1.

(Bellow I am telling you what to change. If something is not listed than you are good for that setting)
In output
CQP: 16-20 (start at 16 and if you are still getting encoding lag raise it by 1)
Preset: Max Performance (there is no difference in image quality between Quality and Max Performance while using CQP)
Psycho Visual Tuning: off (this makes your final render look weird if you render in 60 fps, and utilizes more of your gpu which can cause encoding lag)

In video
CQP is definitely advised, for ANY local recording. CBR is the worst method, and is only used for streaming as the infrastructure requires it for proper video chunking/replication to CDNs.
I'd recommend Quality (NOT Max Quality) instead. It's effectively no more load on the NVENC core and will result in smaller file sizes (which will be very large in any case at 240fps), even if CQP will retain a set image quality level.

DarthNox

I'd recommend Quality (NOT Max Quality) instead. It's effectively no more load on the NVENC core and will result in smaller file sizes (which will be very large in any case at 240fps), even if CQP will retain a set image quality level.
I personally get 0.0%-0.2% encoding lag while using the Max performance preset recording at 1080p 480fps 18CQP, and 0.7%-1.2% whilst using the Quality preset. Even a negligible difference in the load on the NVENC core can make a huge difference when recording in framerates higher than the standard 60 or 30 fps.

Anything above 0.2% encoding lag causes frame stacked(smart resample/frame blending) footage to look laggy or choppy.

The general recommendation that the users in the community of recording at high framerates make to new comers is to use Max Performance, but if you want lower file sizes and you computer can handle it then we recommend changing the preset to Quality.

DrWolf33

In output

In video
ok, I just use 2 audio tracks when im recording a video with my mic. But ill try to do some of that

DrWolf33

Recording above 60fps is not officially supported; exceeding 60 is entirely at-your-own-risk, and we cannot provide support for it.

The advice I can give is that to record 240fps, you will need a total frame time under 4ms end-to-end. You can check out the timing tree at the bottom of your completed logfile to see where you may be exceeding this, leading to the frame skips.

Even having good hardware, if you have a bottleneck somewhere... flooded PCIe bus, GPU on x8 mode instead of x16, slow hard drive, whatever, it will cause frame skips. A top-fuel supercar has the capacity to go very fast, but depends on the driver to configure and drive it well to actually do so.
I'd suggest using Shadowplay for the actual recording. It's much simpler (so less to go wrong), and 'closer to metal' as it were, so can do some neat proprietary tricks that nVidia doesn't share with anyone else, like zero-cost framebuffer access.
yea. that does make sense i will also try some of that too