High Encoding Lag out of nowhere

Alpha1

I had been using OBS to record in 180FPS 1440p since August of this year (2022), and it had been working perfectly fine, I was able to get 1 hour recordings without a problem in the same 180FPS 1440p settings. However, since the last two updates, everytime I press Start Replay Buffer, my encoding lag skyrockets and goes to 99%. I tried switching from NVENC .264 encoder to the Software .264 and clips worked perfectly fine and came out just as smooth as they were back in August, unfortunately the software .264 encoder would make my frames drop sporadically by 50-100. My final solution was downloading an older version of OBS from August (I believe it was version 27 something), however there was a new OBS update today and my NVIDIA video drivers also updated yesterday and then today I reached the same exact problem where my encoding lag would skyrocket.

Note: The first time this started happening, both OBS and my NVIDIA video drivers updated.

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/R4l4nOgCaP446JIS

PaiSand

There's another instance of OBS already running. Recommended to restart the computer.
Also, 180fps may be too much. Use 60fps so you can set a better quality, or use 120fps if your computer can handle it.

Squirting

I had been using OBS to record in 180FPS 1440p since August of this year (2022), and it had been working perfectly fine, I was able to get 1 hour recordings without a problem in the same 180FPS 1440p settings. However, since the last two updates, everytime I press Start Replay Buffer, my encoding lag skyrockets and goes to 99%. I tried switching from NVENC .264 encoder to the Software .264 and clips worked perfectly fine and came out just as smooth as they were back in August, unfortunately the software .264 encoder would make my frames drop sporadically by 50-100. My final solution was downloading an older version of OBS from August (I believe it was version 27 something), however there was a new OBS update today and my NVIDIA video drivers also updated yesterday and then today I reached the same exact problem where my encoding lag would skyrocket.

Note: The first time this started happening, both OBS and my NVIDIA video drivers updated.

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/R4l4nOgCaP446JIS
I noticed that you are using the rate control CQP. They have new settings to it, and I have asked the same question. They have added presets and Multipass Mode to the rate control. Not sure what it used to be like before or what Multipass Mode even means but having Medium on the P level helps to solve my issues.

^ Just reading about Multipass Mode, it seems to be for videos such as virtual reality. I'd set it to single pass.

Alpha1

What I said in the OBS discord (#windows-support):

"Why is my encoding lag going to like 99% eveerytime I try to use replay buffer?
I switched to software x264 and it worked fine but my game FPS would drop
Then I downloaded an older version of OBS, and it worked fine for a week and now its back"

Alpha1

There's another instance of OBS already running. Recommended to restart the computer.
Also, 180fps may be too much. Use 60fps so you can set a better quality, or use 120fps if your computer can handle it.
The thing is that it worked for like 2-3 months and even when the encoding lag would skyrocket, I would switch to Software .264 encoder and it would work just fine except my game FPS randomly dropped. It also worked when I downloaded an older version of OBS from august with the NVENC encoder with no FPS drops

Alpha1

I noticed that you are using the rate control CQP. They have new settings to it, and I have asked the same question. They have added presets and Multipass Mode to the rate control. Not sure what it used to be like before or what Multipass Mode even means but having Medium on the P level helps to solve my issues.

^ Just reading about Multipass Mode, it seems to be for videos such as virtual reality. I'd set it to single pass.
What do you mean by this, I can't seem to find it

PaiSand

I think there's an issue with replay buffer. That's a thing to see by the devs.
Do some test.
Set 60 FPS. Test
Set 120 FPS. Test.
Set the output resolution to 1080p and 120FPS. Test. Do the same with 60 FPS.

Alpha1

It worked for me when I used 60FPS, but nothing else. Not 120FPS or anything
It might be the encoder or something, it worked on an older version and with a different encoder (FPS drops from Software .264 though)

Alpha1

Just to add on, I redownloaded the same version from August (28.0rc2) and it works perfectly fine now, I believe something got messed up in the new updates

PaiSand

You can use 60fps as you already said it worked or install a version of OBS that works for you.
I thought you'll made tests and post the logs of the resulting tests.

Anyway, I have no idea what's the issue with replay buffer. I never used it.