Question / Help Hey guys having a weird audio issue, any ideas why? (FIXED)

Sparktite

EDIT: Go check my last post on this thread for my solution if ur having the same issues.
TLDR: When im running obs i get a lot of audio issues where popping, crackling, and audio leaks start happening, why would OBS be doing this?

Hey guys so ive been trying to figure out this audio issue for a long while. I think i resolved it from happening off stream by disabling my capture cards audio driver which i think was acting up. The way i found out that the capture cards audio driver was causing this was using this thing called DPC latency checker, which i found to troubleshoot possible bad audio drivers causing popping, crackling, and audio drops(i also have audio leakage). Im actually not entirely sure what the altency checker is really doing but i read that red could mean some sort of latency causing my problems. The software says to try disabling and renabling audio drivers from within the windows device manager.

The problem however is that i still get the popping and crackling when im running obs. I also have audio leaking happening where sometimes certain inputs are captured in stream that shouldnt, and a lot of the time my stream audio is getting fed back to the people im talking to in my discord. This has become a really big problem that i cant tolerate any longer.

Ive included a screen cap of the dpc latency checker without obs running and then as the graph continues in the green over time i launch obs and then you start seeing all the red and the audio issues arise. You can also see my obs audio setting and what my voicemeeter banana looks like incase that helps.
Ive also tried switching my audio drivers over to asio4all but this hasnt resolved anything and ive had issues getting it to setup my inputs and outputs as i have them in voicemeeter banana.

Heres the link for dpc latency checker for more info on what it does also you can download a pdf on there for how to use it.
https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
1531388561014.png

- Thanks a bunch :)

Last edited:

Sparktite

Guys i seriously need help and have no idea what to do, ive even tested with another dpc latency checker for audio issues thats supposed to work better on windows 10 and its showing basically the same thing.

vapeahoy

its not obs doing it, you have a driver conflict or malfunction, possibly to do with virtual audio cable. disable devices 1 by 1 till u find the culprit.

Sparktite

its not obs doing it, you have a driver conflict or malfunction, possibly to do with virtual audio cable. disable devices 1 by 1 till u find the culprit.
Hey thanks so much for the reply, im pretty sure that the audio devices/drivers arent the issue, but i went ahead and tried your suggestion. It didnt change anything. I got to the point where all my audio devices are disabled completely but the issue still persists or at least the latency issues does, i cant hear anything if all my devices are off. Also turning off everything i could till i couldnt hear anything didnt stop the crackling either.

Ive been told to try a different latency checking software because of some issue that exists with using dpc latency checker on windows 10. I don't really see a difference but the new latency software latencymon does point to the specific drivers.
I also tried uninstalling the drivers for my video cards graphics and disabling the hd audio device once the drivers were removed but the problem still persists. Also tried updating my bios too but no luck.
1531787615472.png

vapeahoy

resplendence software is great, i'd suggest it but you would still need to disable devices 1by 1 to find the culprit. if its a usb issue u can look for various usb options in bios and try that. I once used an razer lachesis mouse, think that was the name, it was impossible to turn on any pc, as long as the mouse was connected. I could go on quite a bit on usb issues but tldr and lazy.
I would simply leave latency mon running and disconnect 1 cable after another from the pc and see what happens. If the issue persists, its not hardware but driver. Then u disable device by device with device manager. If that fails, u do the same thing in bios.
A good start in bios would be to disable f.ex asmedia usb 3.0 or similar.

Sparktite

Oh man so i found the culprit completely on accident thank god, i think checking each usb like u suggested probably would have been the best tip i got vapea so thanks for that.
It was my logitech c920 webcam, for whatever reason in obs when running with the default settings it was causing usb latency issues and directx driver latency issues. I had tried disabling my video card audio drivers, my capture card audio drivers, but i discovered that when i disabled the logitech sound drivers the webcam stopped working entirely in obs and the issues were gone.
I reenabled the sound drivers so i could use my webcam again and found that i had to change the video format in the webcam settings in obs to output to MJPEG or else i would get the issue.

Incase anyone is having these issues in the future go check ur webcam like mentioned above, and if thats not it, latencymon was a godsend, and vapeahoy usb tip woulda have found the issue aswell. Best of luck and <3 <3 <3

vapeahoy

Maybe you can still use it if you simply disable the audio driver part for it, under device manager. USB Audio is a very niche specific thing in the usb protocol and actually thrives best on the 1.1 specification especially where latency is critical , ie mic. This can be quite the conflict with video, if the driver for the webcam doesnt behave in a good way. All in all its quite the TLDR kinda topic, and you're not the first to report issues with this specific webcam, nor will you be the last.