Question / Help Help with crash report 1 day away from live event

rdcs

Hi!

I am going to do a live event for an organisation and lately OBS crashes frequently after some usage. This time I was preparing a scene which contained another scene and some color and text elements, in order to create a name tag. The embedded scene also contains a text-based png with transparent background.

Do I need to reinstall the OS? Running High Sierra and OBS 23.0.1.

I am super grateful for all the assistance I can get!

https://pastebin.com/Gp0jyh8V

EDIT:
Added new crash data the next day as well as screenshot of what the screen is going to look like.
https://pastebin.com/svU2n7tg
https://imgur.com/rNr4mW5

Attachments

• 2019-09-11 19-22-21.txt
    35.4 KB · Views: 23
  • OBS-crash-19.23_11sept_2019.txt
    121.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-09-11 19-22-21.txt
    35.4 KB · Views: 20
  • obs cras 08.50 12 sept 2019.txt
    115.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-09-12 08-56-23.txt
    41.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-09-12 09-05-45.txt
    38.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2019-09-12 09-25-24.txt
    38.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Narcogen

To try and get back into a working mode, copy this folder to another location to back it up, and then delete it:

~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio

This will do a factory reset of OBS Studio and remove any active profiles and scene collections (hence the instruction to back that folder up first).

From your logfile:

19:22:23.577: Failed to open file '/Users/rodrigomunoz/Dropbox/Klimatriksdagen/13 april Immanuelskyrkan/Gfx/PiP Picture in Picture/PiP_dropshadow-transp-bg.png': No such file or directory

Don't load sources from network file volumes. It will make OBS perform poorly, and in the above example, the file appears to be missing, and this will cause OBS to spend resources timing out trying to load all of these. There are many such errors in your log.

Looking at the rest of the log... try to simplify if you can. You have an extremely large scene collection with a lot of individual text sources, embedded sources, and color filters.

Don't try to add the same video source twice with different settings in the same scene or scene collection. That's also asking for trouble. If "avio zoom" and "avio full scene cam" are the same device but with different settings, that is potentially problematic.

rdcs

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Regarding the missing file, is it problematic for it to be locally stored with cloud sync or do you mean stored. entirely on the network? In this specific instance I have moved the folder temporarily so it is natural it is not found. Good to know that OBS will spend a lot of time trying to find the files, thanks for that heads up.

Regarding the simplification of scenes. For some reason after deleting scenes manually from the profile, they keep coming back - especially after a crash - and I cannot understand why. Could it be because they are still part of the installation of the admin account on my computer? I have made a second user account on my computer to use as a dedicated streaming account only, and stripped it of a lot of the utils and tools I have on my regular (admin) account on my computer. Do you think it would help to edit the .yml files for the deletion of scenes to have a permanent effect on my streaming account? Or would it affect both accounts?

Regarding the video. Thanks for that info, I have sometimes taken the same source in different placeholders in the same scene, but usually the source is still the same. I use that setup for when streaming with two cameras and having two separate video capture devices, so they are not the same video source. Also the settings for the separate video sources are the exact same, in order to match the exact look of each individual camera, which are of the same make and model as well.

But I have sometimes fed one video input into both the video sources in a scene on occasion. The settings of the input are the same, since it is only one source, but I have resized the source in the scene, is that a huge problem would you say?

I made the streaming event with no glitches or crashes on the OBS, so it was a success after all!

Thanks again for all your help!

Narcogen

If it's a cloud service where the file is really local, but a background process is syncing it with a remote copy, that should be fine.

A file on a shared volume, like an SMB share, would not be, but a source that's missing/broken is problematic whether it's local or remote.

Scenes aren't stored in a profile-- a profile stores recording and streaming destinations and settings. Scenes are stored in a Scene Collection.

If you have two video sources that point to the same device with the same settings, but are only resized in the canvas, that is fine.

What's not fine is having the same device as separate sources where, say, one is configured as 1080p60 and the other is 720p30. That will break.