Bug Report HELP!!! | OBS Files Randomly Unplayable

lucashaefner

So I've been trying to start a youtube channel to post clips and highlights and stuff and obs is pretty much the best. However, the some files show the default icon for video files instead of an actual thumbnail like all the others. I say randomly because I record games back to back and I stop recording between each game and some files are unplayable even though the videos recorded right before and right after are fine. I don't know how to do logs so if you need that info please help me get it. I notice that it's usually my best games that are unplayable. This could be my opinion or coincidence, but I just thought it could be file size. I play Rainbow Six so games can be anywhere from 3 minutes (usually not though) to 30 minutes. The last game I recorded was about 25-28 minutes long I think. Another file this happened to was also very long. I record high quality and I want to keep it that way.

GPU: GTX 1060 3g, Rainbow Six takes up about half of my vram I believe but I'd have to double check to be sure. I know it isn't maxed out
CPU: i3 6100

The screenshot shows how some of them are corrupt randomly. The default Windows 10 media player says that the file is unplayable and my editing software, DaVinci Resolve 12, doesn't recognize those files (no error msg). I record 1920x1080 at highest sharpening, lanzos or something. PLEASE HELP I'm loosing all my best plays!

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    627.8 KB · Views: 124

lucashaefner

Hey, first of all thanks for replying so quickly. To clarify, the issue isn't just that I can't play files with the default windows player. That is an issue, but the main issue is that they aren't accessible at all to the program I use to edit videos. I think this indicates that the files would show up as corrupt for all players.

lucashaefner

I'll check my recording settings when I get home, but I believe I'm using mov to record. Is that a problem? I know that I'm not using a format that will be unrecoverable in a crash or interruption, but I'm also not using MKV or FLV. Would the MKV or FLV files only be playable after remuxing?

Narcogen

.MOV is no better than .MP4. You should record in MKV and then remux to MP4 afterwards for importing into an editor. Remuxing is necessary for import, not for playing. If you can't play what OBS records, use VLC.

lucashaefner

The obs description said that mp4 was the only file that wouldn't be recoverable in case of an interruption, but shouldn't any file type be fine?

Narcogen

17:20:17.794: Windows Version: 10.0 Build 16299 (revision: 904; 64-bit)

Windows is out of date. You may wish to update to the latest version, and to ensure that Game Mode is off. (This is separate from Game Bar and Game DVR; this may not be available in your version, but in at least one older version, this feature is on and cannot be turned off.

17:20:31.084: ==== Recording Start ===============================================
17:20:31.084: [ffmpeg muxer: 'simple_file_output'] Writing file 'F:/Recordings/02-07-17.mov'...
17:57:24.051: [ffmpeg muxer: 'simple_file_output'] Output of file 'F:/Recordings/02-07-17.mov' stopped

If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

17:57:24.051: Output 'simple_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 9894 (7.5%)
17:57:24.051: ==== Recording Stop ================================================
17:57:24.054: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 263/132771 (0.2%)

I don't see any huge errors related to recording but you are overloading your GPU. 1080p60 on single PC systems is challenging. I don't know what you're capturing, but anything you can do to reduce that application's load on your GPU will help. Otherwise you may wish to choose between 1080p30 or 720p60 output, depending on whether resolution or fast action is your focus.

lucashaefner

I scaled down my in-game render scaling and my recording resolution and switched to flv. I'll post if any more files become unplayable. Do you think there's any way to recover the files that I already recorded but are unplayable?

Narcogen

Almost certainly not, especially if they were made so by OBS crashing or hanging during recording. If you try to play them in VLC, what does VLC say?

lucashaefner

1. There was no crash or noticeable drop in fps. I didn't see any lag, but I guess that's because the game was higher priority, idk. 2. Everything is just plank. No error message. the start time and the end time are --:-- and the video shows the black background with the orange cone.

lucashaefner

Okay, different problem now. When I bring the recording into my editor after remuxing it the audio is like stuttering/skipping every other frame the entire way through.

lucashaefner

Okay, so I use DaVinci Resolve for video editing since it's free and I just noticed that the files only skip in editor, playing with vlc is fine.

lucashaefner

I'm playing at 60 fps and recording at 30 fps, but this shouldn't be a problem since there's no effect in vlc, just in the editor.