HDR to SDR doesn't work (washed out), and what I already tried

Pidowap

English is not my first language, but I will write the best I can.

Hello everyone and thank you for stopping by.

My situation
I have an HDR monitor and play games in HDR. I stream on Twitch (I know Twitch doesn't support HDR).
When I play a HDR game, the game looks washed out (example), but when I play a SDR game, the game looks normal (example).
The thing is, in the source properties window, the game looks normal, but not on the OBS preview, and not on my stream.
I always enable HDR in windows before launching OBS and the game

What I already tried
I awlays launch OBS as administrator.

I changed the color format to "P010" and the color space to "Rec. 2100 (PQ)" in the "advanced" settings, but I can't stream with these settings because the encoder (NVIDIA NVENC H.264) doesn't support 10 bit encoding.

I changed the color format to "NV12" and the color space to "Rec. 709" in the "advanced" settings.
I changed the color format to "NV12" and the color space to "sRGB" in the "advanced" settings.
I tried the two above with "YUV" to "full" and "limited".

In the properties of the source, I changed the color space to "Rec. 2100 (PQ)".
I added a HDR tone mapping filter to the source.

Despite all this and numerous research on the internet I still have this problem

I attached my most recent log file.

Thank you for reading

Attachments

• 2024-02-22 10-46-54.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 13

PaiSand

Not an issue on OBS side.
As long as you stream to Twitch and they don't support HDR you shouln't use HDR. If you still want to use HDR, stream to Youtube selecting Youtbe - HLS as service. Of course, all the other settings needed for it too.

Pidowap

Not an issue on OBS side.
As long as you stream to Twitch and they don't support HDR you shouln't use HDR. If you still want to use HDR, stream to Youtube selecting Youtbe - HLS as service. Of course, all the other settings needed for it too.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I don't understand why I shouldn't use HDR. OBS does the tone mapping from HDR to SDR automatically. The problem is that it is washed out.
Are there really no solution to make it good looking while still playing in HDR ?

scotchbean

Same issue here - OBS's tone mapping just looks like crap and I can't find a way to make it look any better. The override filter doesn't make much of a difference unless there's some magic combination of settings I haven't found. I'm not expecting perfection or anything as I don't doubt that tone mapping is a complicated task, but whenever I record an HDR game it looks completely washed out and lifeless even compared to the same game running in SDR.