Having a bit of an issue with audio channels.

comexx

G'day. I'm a new member (and by that, a new user of OBS)
I've been trying to configure my audio channels so that one has my friends on discord talking, one for the game that I'm playing, and one for the microphone that I am using.

I used one setup which I thought worked, but it ended up recording my mic on both of the tracks that I was using.
So, I need some help.

How do I assign such that one audio channel is reserved for my mic (audio input device or mic/aux, I do not know which one is better to select, or if they're the exact same), another channel for the in-game audio (doesn't have me or my friends talking over it, only the audio from the game), and the last one for recording my friends voices on discord (again, only them talking, no in-game audio or me talking over it)?

I've been getting a huge headache over this and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
(yes I do use mp4)

Log file: (I've fixed the mismatched sample rates and the display source and game source thing) https://obsproject.com/logs/Y81jPBM8QNV91Ikj

koala

Go to Edit->Advanced audio properties and in the matrix activate the sources for their respective track only.
Like this:
1642778162411.png

In this picture, every source is mixed and written to track 1 to get a mixed track, and additionally each to an individual track (2-5).

In case you still have mixed audio in one of the sources, you need to separate these audio into separate sources.
If the game has internal voice chat and is mixing its audio with the game sound, it may be difficult or impossible to split, unless the game is able to output voice chat and game sound to different Windows audio devices.

Last edited:

comexx

Go to Edit->Advanced audio properties and in the matrix activate the sources for their respective track only.
Like this:
View attachment 79353
In this picture, every source is mixed and written to track 1 to get a mixed track, and additionally each to an individual track (2-5).

In case you still have mixed audio in one of the sources, you need to separate these audio into separate sources.
If the game has internal voice chat and is mixing its audio with the game sound, it may be difficult or impossible to split, unless the game is able to output voice chat and game sound to different Windows audio devices.
Right.. how do I set so one source captures audio from discord, one from the game?

PaiSand

I use Voicemeeter for it, so you can send diferent audio sources to diferent outputs. Just check if your computer supports it and if you can run it along with OBS streaming and playing.

comexx

I use Voicemeeter for it, so you can send diferent audio sources to diferent outputs. Just check if your computer supports it and if you can run it along with OBS streaming and playing.
No worries. Issue solved, I got a special plugin that lets me do the thing I wanted to do. Thanks for contributing however.

WBE

Regarding your question on Desktop Audio and Mic/Auxiliary Audio vs. Audio Input Capture and Audio Output Capture sources: the first two are Global Audio Devices. You'd configure them once and then will work at all your scenes. Pros: you have to do it only once. Cons: you cannot regulate on a per scene basis which sound you do not want to include (ie. while showing a fullscreen video fragment with its own soundtrack one does not want the sound board audio source in that scene).

Besides that: are you aware that the it is highly recommended not to record in mp4 directly? Some essential meta data is only written to the file after closing the recording. So after crashing after three hours, totally nothing recorded will be left. Rather record to .mkv file format and afterwards go to File, Remux Recordings to easily turn it into mp4.

comexx

Regarding your question on Desktop Audio and Mic/Auxiliary Audio vs. Audio Input Capture and Audio Output Capture sources: the first two are Global Audio Devices. You'd configure them once and then will work at all your scenes. Pros: you have to do it only once. Cons: you cannot regulate on a per scene basis which sound you do not want to include (ie. while showing a fullscreen video fragment with its own soundtrack one does not want the sound board audio source in that scene).

Besides that: are you aware that the it is highly recommended not to record in mp4 directly? Some essential meta data is only written to the file after closing the recording. So after crashing after three hours, totally nothing recorded will be left. Rather record to .mkv file format and afterwards go to File, Remux Recordings to easily turn it into mp4.
Will take into consideration! Many thanks.