Question / Help Have to turn on v-sync to stream

MrFurball

I know streaming is more of a cpu bound process, but to stream games that use 100% of my gpu I have to turn on v-sync so the gpu only needs to push to 60fps and have 10, 20, 30% left. I think constant 10% would be enough though. Because some gpu is needed.
I just wanted to know if that happens to you. I didn't believe that most people have to lock at 60fps to stream. I use x.264 enconder, so the pressure is only at the cpu.
And if a very light game doesn't even use the full potential of the card, like half life, modern warfare, I don't have to turn on vsync.
Anyway, just wanted to know about your experiences. Maybe I'm even doing something wrong.

Thank you for the attention.

FriGO

I kinda have the same problem actually. Since my last nvidia or windows update (did both at the same time) I can't even watch a stream on my second screen and play if I don't set both my screens at 60 hz and my fps in game at 60... I used to stream a lot of PUBG and BF V all maxxed out and now I can't do anything. Been a week I'm trying to find a solution... And I've a pretty decent computer (runs PUBG at around 200 fps all the time...)

Narcogen

You can't use OBS to stream games that use 100% of your GPU because OBS needs to use your GPU to render. This is separate (and before) encoding, so it doesn't matter if you're using NVENC or x264 encoding on your CPU, OBS needs GPU overhead in order to work.

You can achieve that by capping framerate (which is what VSYNC is doing) or by lowering canvas resolution or by reducing other visual fidelity options exist in the game you are capturing; anything that will reduce GPU load.

The phrase "I use x.264 enconder, so the pressure is only at the cpu" is wrong. OBS needs the GPU to render frames prior to encoding no matter what encoder you use. If you want to record without the need to render frames so that you can let your game max out your GPU, you need to use ShadowPlay or other software that takes frames directly from the buffer without rendering.

MrFurball

I dont like streaming part of shadowplay at all, but thank you. I wanted to know why it happened and if I was doing anything wrong, because i was able to stream far cry 3 which uses full gpu without vsync. But i wasnt too much bothered because it makes sense. Just want it to know why it happened. I know that using cpu enconder will still need gpu. I assumed that a little before. It was just to say i wasnt using nvenc