Bug Report Guild Wars 2 launched through Steam captures overlay

Tarun

Launched Guild Wars 2 through Steam. Steam overlay shows on preview and in stream. "Capture third-party overlays (such as steam)" is unchecked. (Btw, shouldn't that be Steam?)

I attempted to remake the scene and sources. Source set as Game Capture. No change.

I have it set to capture Windows: [GW2.exe]: Guild Wars 2. Match priority: Executable name. Only item checked is Capture Cursor.

Log from attempts is attached.

Attachments

• 2016-03-04 20-01-25.txt
    26.3 KB · Views: 91

Ruhai Hu

I regularly launch Guild Wars 2 through steam to get the over lay an I do not experience the issue you are describing.

The only time I can get the overlay to show is if I Check the box to capture the overlays.

Also you shouldn't have to set the game capture to specifically capture Guild Wars 2.

Tarun

@Ruhai Hu, I prefer to have it capture just the designated window's .exe rather than any full screen application.

Here's the really odd thing. I did a clean install and removed the old profiles in the process. Now it seems to be working just fine. Will monitor it though.

Edit: Nope. It's doing it even on a completely clean install.

Isolated the issue: When you uncheck Capture any fullscreen application it will capture the Steam Overlay regardless of settings. With the above setting checked, the issue does not happen. This can be a bit of a problem if you have other things fullscreen and you don't want to capture them.

Last edited:

Tarun

Thanks for the link @Suslik V. A shame that no fix has appeared as of yet. Was looking into making the move up to OBS Studio though it lacks a couple features OBS Classic has that I like. For now, still on OBS Classic.

Tarun

I run multiple monitors, so sometimes I watch movies on mute on the side, or even my own stream. There's also other apps I sometimes fullscreen (Teamviewer, etc).

I personally prefer to set it to exclusively capture from the designated executable rather than just grabbing anything. Hope that adds some context.

Tarun

Hate to bump this again though multiple people seem to be having this issue and it would be nice to see some information about what's going on.

Tarun

0.14.1 this is still an issue.
I still am unable to replicate the issue with steam games and non-steam games launched through steam.
As I mentioned in a prior post/edit:

Isolated the issue: When you uncheck Capture any fullscreen application it will capture the Steam Overlay regardless of settings. With the above setting checked, the issue does not happen. This can be a bit of a problem if you have other things fullscreen and you don't want to capture them.

-----
I'm able to reproduce this every time with a clean profile. The first run it will be fine but after that the problem occurs consistently.

Tarun

So I submitted this bug report on March 4th, it's now been over two months. The few releases so far have not resolved the issue. I've posted a way to replicate the issue, also.

Is there any official word on what's going on with this?

CapnCrunch

Wow I am astounded. I have kind of the reverse issue as you, Tarun. I'm trying to get OBS to capture an overlay (deck list over the top of Hearthstone). To see though that there is a total disregard after 2 months of your issue, it really makes me wonder if any of the developers are worth the effort. Are you aware of any good alternatives to OBS? I don't even stream, just wanting to record my gameplay to review step by step to improve.

Puts into perspective why my issue hasn't been addressed in 3 days. Rough way to solicit donations.

Tarun

@CapnCrunch I agree, I'm very surprised there's been no official word on this. Especially with how it's so easy to reproduce... Best of luck getting your issue resolved.