Green screen on launch/presets

ibrewster

I am using OBS to make local recordings from the SDI in port of a Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini, connected to my mac mini via Thunderbolt. I have the "Use Preset" option unchecked in order to be able to specify 1920x1080 resolution, which works perfectly - until I quit and re-open OBS. At that pointI only get a green box rather than the video I would expect. I can easily fix this by first checking the "Use Preset" option, which sets the resolution to 720 and fixes the video, and then unchecking it again, which sets the resolution back to 1080 (and the video continues working), but this is annoying to have to do each time I load OBS.

As such, I have two questions:

1) How can I fix things so I don't have to check, then uncheck, use preset every time I launch OBS?
2) How can I add 1080 resolution to the preset menu?

Thanks!

It sounds like you are adding a video capture device. You should add a BlackMagic device.
Over HDMI, I get a laundry list of resolutions and framerates from the mode selection. There is no preset setting from the BlackMagic device.
Make sure you have SDI set as the default input in the Desktop video setup app.
When in doubt, check the resolution and video in BlackMagic Media Express.

1664860239758.png

ibrewster

So it turns out the problem _was_ frame rate. I had it set to 30 (or 29.something), but it was actually running at 59.something. Fixing that seems to have resolved the issue, so thanks for the pointer!

I did try setting it up as a blackmagic device, but that just showed a blank grey screen, so apparently I either got something wrong, or that wasn't the right approach. No worries, however, as setting it up as a video capture device seems to work correctly now.

Thanks again!