Question / Help GPU load drastically lowers when opening "Filters"

P0KKER

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on what's going on.

I recently noticed my GPU load drastically lowers when I open up the interact or filters window on any source.

I have a dedicated streaming rig with a GTX 960 in it. I have a gaussian blur filter on one of my camera sources (I am aware that this uses a lot of my GPU, aprox 50%). When I have OBS open and not streaming or anything, my GPU is at around 75%.

Now for the part I do not understand. If I right click any source (it does not have to be the source with the gaussian blur filter) and select interact or filters, my GPU load goes from 75% to 35%. I recorded a short video to show you what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpI6t8ul7qc

By doing this I can alleviate the load on the GPU when I am streaming, and be able to better run the gaussian blur filter I use.

Is anyone able to explain to me if this is a bug, intended or what?

Thanks for your time reading my post

/P0KKER

koala

What happens is probably that if you open that window, the GPU load actually increases. It increases, so the GPU has to switch to a different power saving state to balance that higher load. In this different power saving state (less power saving, much higher GPU performance) the GPU performance is so much higher that in Task manager, the actual load lowers below the previous load. The load is given in percent, that means it is the quotient of physical load divided by physical performance. If the physical load doubles (dialog opens) but the physical performance triples (different power saving state), the percent actually lowers.

P0KKER

What happens is probably that if you open that window, the GPU load actually increases. It increases, so the GPU has to switch to a different power saving state to balance that higher load. In this different power saving state (less power saving, much higher GPU performance) the GPU performance is so much higher that in Task manager, the actual load lowers below the previous load. The load is given in percent, that means it is the quotient of physical load divided by physical performance. If the physical load doubles (dialog opens) but the physical performance triples (different power saving state), the percent actually lowers.

Thank you for the reply.

This made sense to me so I went into the Nvidia control panel and sure enough, it was set to optimal power on the gpu.

I went into the "Manage 3D settings" and switched "Optimize for Compute Performance" to "on", and "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" (This was set to "Optimal power" before).

This made a little difference, now when I have just have OBS open, GPU is at around 65% and when I open "filters" it drops to 50%. So it is still doing the same thing, but to a lesser degree.

Is there any other setting I can change to maybe affect this? Windows power options is also set to "High performance"

EDIT: It seems after re-opening and restarting the pc, it did not make that much of a difference, GPU can be run at anything from 50-75% with just OBS, and 25-45% when I open filters

Thanks again.

/P0KKER

Last edited: