Question / Help Game capture not working, black screen

Raze_

Same problem. Doesn't work with any games. But if I choose window capture its perfectly fine. Which would be fine if I could stream full screen games like Borderlands 1 in window capture.

robotJones

I see, i haven't tried window capture but i don't think it would work as well haha.
If anyone could please help us i would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Game Capture sometimes doesn't work for some games. If your game uses Steam Overlay you can try disabling that, which can sometimes help. Otherwise you'll have to play your game in windowed mode when recording/streaming.

robotJones

Sure. A lot of people suggested using the game's windowed mode feature. I went into the game's options and switched the resolution to windowed mode. Then I turn OBS on and and created a new Game Capture option and selected the game to be captured. There was no change the screen was still black.

robotJones

UPDATE

So I have tried using windowed mode for the game and using the window source in OBS. What happens to me is the source captures the first thing it sees and displays that image the whole time even when I'm move around within the game. With that said I started using the monitor capture source in OBS and going full screen in the game. Maybe not the best set-up but for me it works well.

Is there any actual fix to this problem other than work arounds?

This is wrong.

Game capture works both on windowed and fullscreen games.

What??? Let me test that.

Hmm... turns out it does capture windowed games, which completely baffles me. Now, if Game Capture isn't fullscreen only, then what's the difference to Window Capture? What does it do different that allows it to see both windowed and fullscreen games? I've been told to use Game Capture for fullscreen and Window Capture for anything windowed, is this still true?

Harold

Game capture captures at a different layer in the rendering process. It is actually more efficient system resource wise to use game capture on games that allow the capture.

sergcool

I found a fix and made a video! Hope this will fix your problems with trying to stream or record video games in full screen with game capture. (not monitor capture)