FYI: macOS Virtual Cam on OBS 26.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Note that in OBS Studio v26.1 on macOS, if you already have the original version of the virtual camera plugin from johnboiles, you may need to uninstall it first before using the built-in version of the plugin:

Make sure OBS is closed, and then do the following:
  1. Open a new Finder window

2. Hit "CMD+SHIFT+G", then enter /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/

3. Delete the file named obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin - you might be asked for your password to confirm the deletion

4. Hit "CMD+SHIFT+G" again, now enter /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins

5. Delete the folder named obs-mac-virtualcam - again, you might be asked for your password
Now you are set to use OBS' built-in virtual camera plugin

dstroot

OK - the plugin was working great. I just updated to 26.1 (MacOS Catalina) and I followed these steps to delete the plugin but where do I see the built-in version? It is not showing up under tools. ??

poophaus

I have macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. Have been using old virtual cam. Removed before installing. Cannot find virtual camera under tools.

jfarmer

Tools > Start Virtual Camera is gone — probably because that's the only place a plugin can modify — and instead you can start a virtual camera from the buttons in the bottom right-hand corner (same place as Start Streaming, etc.)

1608063207512.png

Sanford Lewis

I know that usually people write about problems here, but I just want to say that since I upgraded to OBS 26.1 I had a crash initially, but now it looks like my 2018 iMac is working much more smoothly within virtual camera and zoom. It's not overloading the processor. I I assume this is a result of some tweaks that were made to OBS for Mac. Anyway, it's exciting because now I can use more of my gear without crashing the processor!

f8many

VirtualCAM is not working for 26.1.0 Mac Version.

1) Start Virtual Camera

2) The button color changes from Gray to Black

3) iOS requires me permission. (Password correct)

4) Button changes back to Gray inmediatly.

5) OBS Virtual Camera is not available to be used.

mpftPK

VirtualCAM is not working for 26.1.0 Mac Version.

1) Start Virtual Camera
2) The button color changes from Gray to Black
3) iOS requires me permission. (Password correct)
4) Button changes back to Gray inmediatly.
5) OBS Virtual Camera is not available to be used.

I'm trying to use Microsoft Teams and have this same problem (Catalina 10.15.7).
I'll take a wild guess and say Teams is the problem here.

jurgenfd

I'm on OBS 26.1.0 with macOS Big Sur 11.1. This works in Zoom (5.4.4) but not in Teams .3.00.30874 (24/11/2020) or Discord (0.0.260) for me. It also doesn't work with FaceTime or Photo Booth. I believe FaceTime doesn't allow other camera's in general.

ArthurV

I have same problem, OBS 26.1.0 with macOS Big Sur 11.1. Virtual Cam works fine in Zoom but not in Teams.
Advice welcome (I deleted obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin and did several restarts both Teams and BOS)

OliFrieda

I removed the signature from Skype and Teams. Now the preview works, but no output through the network. No one can see my video.

Bash:
# everything executed with sudo

codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Renderer).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (GPU).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Plugin).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper.app"

codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper.app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (GPU).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (Plugin).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (Renderer).app"

Works fine e. g. with Google Meet.

yakafm

MBP intel 2019 + Big Sur 11.1 + OBS 26.1 …
the virtual camera does not work, even after cleaning the library and rebooting the Mac.
However, the button has turned grey.

1608300264497.png

ramzini

The new virtual camera is working great for me. However, is there a way to rename the camera from "OBS Virtual Camera" to something else?

I know that usually people write about problems here, but I just want to say that since I upgraded to OBS 26.1 I had a crash initially, but now it looks like my 2018 iMac is working much more smoothly within virtual camera and zoom. It's not overloading the processor. I I assume this is a result of some tweaks that were made to OBS for Mac. Anyway, it's exciting because now I can use more of my gear without crashing the processor!

I waited a little before upgrading, and now I am experiencing the crash just like you did. Removed the old mac virtual camera, but can't even get OBS to open. What other steps did you have to perform?

I'm trying to use Microsoft Teams and have this same problem (Catalina 10.15.7).
I'll take a wild guess and say Teams is the problem here.
Same thing here with Google Meet. No virtual camera available. Only difference is I am on High Sierra. And this was after switching to one of the alt builds that folks are using to get around the "crash on start" issue: obs-studio-26.1.0-tech-preview-cef-4183

I think I'm falling back to the previous version. This one obviously wasn't tested well.

Status
Not open for further replies.