Question / Help FX 8150 8Core Compatibility

ArchetypeLoL

So, i am thinking of buying the prementioned cpu. Thing is my motherboard supports only AM3 and not AM3+. I looked it up and asus says that with a BIOS update i could attack any AM3+ cpu on my motherboard (beta support). Every commenter on this beta support was clueless when it comes to streaming applications. So i am asking, is there expected conflict between OBS and a beta supported connection between the cpu and the mobo? Will i be able to divide the cpu usage amongst cores for optimum performance? Will i be able to stream on the maximum encoding presets?
Thanks in advance.

Krazy

Town drunk
If your motherboard accepts the processor, then it will work just fine. You don't really want to ever mess with encoding presets for live streaming, the quality improvement is just not worth the performance hit.

ArchetypeLoL

Krazy i am streaming live tournaments of league of legends and the only reason i am buying a new cpu is the HD 1080p to begin with.
Current cpu is AMD Phenom X4 970

Krazy

Town drunk
To be frank, a moderately overclocked 2500k will probably do better than that processor. 2500k is not really much more expensive. Of course, you'd have to also get a new mobo but...idk, AMD is just so behind Intel these days when it comes to high end performance.

ArchetypeLoL

Well i am actually looking at FX 8120 at the moments. And just by thinking what upgrading to intel would cost me basicly pushes me towards getting a laptop with a capture card. It would be cheaper, more comfortable and i get to have a laptop for my school... Really hard choice for me to be honest...

Muf

Forum Moderator
If you are looking for video encode performance, simply don't get an AMD. I don't know about hugging cactuses, though.

ArchetypeLoL

Muf said:
If you are looking for video encode performance, simply don't get an AMD. I don't know about hugging cactuses, though.
Wow this guy just made my day :D
I guess i can't get anything less than an i7 (+mobo) if i wanted high definition quality. Correct me if i am wrong but you are basicly telling me that as a streamer i have to transist into intel?

Krazy

Town drunk
It's definitely highly recommended, though obviously CPU + mobo can be an expensive purchase.

Jacksb

I am currently using OBS to stream mainly WoW and I have FX 8150 o'clocked to 4GHz with 16 GB ram, Radeon 7950 and V formula mobo and I dont have any issues most of the time.Having great connection I was able to stream @ 45 fps with 11000+ bitrate without any issues ingame.I cant realy say how i7 would compare to my cpu as I've never used one but so far I have no problems with the AMD.I didnt make any adjustments to the core usage of the different programs.I just let both wow and OBS use all 8 cores and the only change in the advanced settings in OBS is that I set the process priority class to High.I have no lag ingame, no fps drops (unless some extreme effects) as i am ussualy sitting around 60 fps ingame with vsync disabled.The only real thing i noticed is that when playing it @ Windowed fullscreen mode I had to disable vsync for sure because of some horizontal graphic glitched that I cant even describe.

I tryed streaming CS:GO but the game capture mode in OBS didnt support it (nor Diablo) so I had to play in windowed mode again and I noticed some minor performance drops but those happened even without streaming.Not sure if the cpu is the cause of those. :)

MattMan

To be clear, that is NOT a true 8 core CPU. It's actually 4 cores and 4 threads. You would be way better off saving your money for a 2500k or 3570k.

Muf

Forum Moderator
KrazyTrumpeter05 said:
???

the FX 8000 series have 8 physical cores.
AMD Bulldozer CPUs contain 4 "modules", and a module contains a single floating point unit with two integer modules. So for every two "cores", there's only one FPU. This is especially bad for video encoding where floating point operations are used for a lot of the algorithmic heavy lifting. Performance-wise, you should treat an 8-core Bulldozer CPU similar to how you would a 4-core CPU with HyperThreading. Yes, there is an advantage to the extra integer compute units, but mostly for specific workloads, and an 8-core AMD will definitely be blown clean out of the water by a high-end Intel Core i7.

Bensam123

If it's AM3+ it'll work with the processor. It may require a bios update though.

I would recommend buying a 8320 or a 8350 instead. Those are based on Piledriver instead of Bulldozer, which is a pretty hefty improvement. If you do buy either a 8150 or 8350 make sure you disable core parking and get the scheduler patch from MS, that fixes any issues with the processor.

You don't need Intel to stream. You can overclock a 8350 as well as a 8150. Paying a extra $100-150 for a motherboard in addition to the processor isn't worth it (something Intel users have no choice in paying for). A 8350 runs with very close to the same performance as a 3570k, let alone a 2500k. Almost no one in this thread is considering having to take a extra $100 onto a purchase to get similar performance to a 3570k.

8350 = $200
Board + 3570k = $320

There IS NOT a $120 performance difference between a 3570k and a 8350. Muf is correct. A high end i7 will completely blow a 8350 out of the water. A hexa core i7 costing at least $550. A 3770k isn't even worth buying nor are any of the other i7s till you reach hexacore. A hexacore i7 isn't 2.5x faster then a 8350 either.

The 8150/8350 sucks at single threaded performance, but even that suckiness has limitations (which a lot of people don't put properly into context). The 8350 is just as fast as a 3770k (a $320 processor) in many multi-threaded cases. Unfortunately I haven't seen good hardware review websites that have a couple benchmarks focused on streaming scenarios. Streaming is a very multithreaded workload. Encoding, running your game, running your streaming software, running any other bells and whistles in the background, a web browser, a h264 video (twitch), a web chat, VAC, all while alt tabbing constantly or having it all operating on different monitors.

Too much emphasis is put purely on game benchmarks and single threaded performance.

seronx

Muf said:
AMD Bulldozer CPUs contain 4 "modules", and a module contains a single floating point unit with two integer modules.
The AMD Orochi CPU contains 4/3/2 Bulldozer modules, and a Bulldozer module contains one vector/intrinsic/hardware instruction unit and two scalar/x86/x86-64 cores.

Vector/Intrinsic/Hardware Instructions: MMX(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX, XOP, FMA, etc.

Muf said:
So for every two "cores", there's only one FPU.
This is actually false in a design point. For every core in a Bulldozer module there is one 128-bit Fused Multiply Add Unit and one 128-bit MMX Unit.

If you want to get into detail of the floating point/vector unit, the Bulldozer module has 16 32-bit units and 8 64-bit units. (<-- 4x this number)

If you want to get into detail of the scalar cores, each Bulldozer core has 4 64-bit units. (<-- 8x this number)

Muf said:
Performance-wise, you should treat an 8-core Bulldozer CPU similar to how you would a 4-core CPU with HyperThreading.
Performance-wise, you should treat an eight core Orochi CPU as an eight core Phenom II.

Bensam123 said:
The 8150/8350 sucks at single threaded performance....
Not exactly.

MattMan

There are several streams of people with the 8150 and above that look pretty amazing, though that will obviously also depend on your upload and general stream settings, too.