Freeze Preview

Shianari

Hello.

Faced the problem of freezing the preview in the OBS.
Usually only the preview window hangs, everything else works fine. When you try to close the OBS, the program freezes completely and you have to force it to turn off. In this case, no errors are displayed.
But the last time it closed, it finally crashed. I received the log file.

Before that, I tried to disable HAGS, and also rolled back the nvidia drivers to version 522.30, as I saw advice on a similar problem on this forum.
I also tried to completely reinstall the program before - it did not help. The problem arose spontaneously.

I really appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

AlexMacBen

Hello everybody,
TLDR - NVIDIA control panel - 3d Settings - manage 3d settings - feature, power management mode - Adaptive.

I'd like to offer this solution as I have been struggling for months with this exact issue and I see that many others have been too. I have only tried a couple of streams since I changed this setting but they have been with games that had previously caused the problem. The freezes usually happens a couple of hours into stream and I have gone on longer now without the issue occurring again. If you change this setting and still have the preview freeze first of all, sorry, but maybe some other things I have tried are working in combination. Games were more likely to cause the freeze if they were in fullscreen mode, try windowed or borderless. Make sure you're not having conflicts with your game/obs resolution and downscaling. You need to be using NVENC h264 and not x264 (I haven't actually tested the difference but this seems to be the preferred way). I believe this is an encoding issue and not a VST problem as suggested. I have run my stream in safe mode (which disables VSTs) with problem games and got the freeze within 20 minutes. Another thing that you have probably already seen is disabling Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scaling or whatever it is in your Windows graphics settings and also Game Mode (I don't think Game Mode changed anything for me).

Here's a temporary band-aid if you get a freeze and need to go on a bit longer (but keep in mind it will eventually break too). You can enable Studio Mode and see another live preview of your stream. This can also freeze. A very last resort would be disable the preview until you need it and only turn it on when you absolutely need to see if your scene/changes/etc is live.

I am using an RTX 2060 super with an i5. This may or may not be better than your gear. I am not a computerman. I don't exactly know what is happening. Some sort of bottleneck thing with the cpu not diverting enough to the gpu. So please take caution such as monitoring your cpu and gpu loads and temps. Do a backup, I don't know, but this worked for me and I totally understand any frustration you may have had. I hope this works for you. Peace and love.