Frame skipping in Preview and recording

wesh92

I have a dual pc setup and I recently noticed on my recording PC some type of frame skipping on my preview and recordings with some games like SSKTJL and GTA 5 and I wasn't able to get smooth recordings unless I lock those games to 60 fps. Here's how it looks : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CNWpJXCfG5o2fIMzSNJbhH1XW8__U7GR?usp=sharing

I feel like I tried everything and I was sure that it was my capture card acting up and I tried 3 different ones but then I noticed the same issue on my main PC. So even on OBS on the gaming PC I can't get smooth recordings on those games unless I cap my framerate to 60.

But then, I noticed on my second PC that I could get smooth preview / recording but only through RECentral when setting it to 120 fps as you can see here https://drive.google.com/file/d/12nJJlugr9HB6PAEKfffrW7hWD4wFHRK5/view?usp=sharing

SO, my question is did anybody ever run through this issue and was there a fix for this? I'm thinking it is a software issue as if OBS and other recording / streaming programs are having a bad time getting smooth signals above 60 fps (with some games) if you're aiming to record at 60 fps.

main pc specs
Win 11
64 gigs ram

2nd PC
Win 10
4070 Ti
32 gigs of ram

PaiSand

From the session where the issue happened:

wesh92

From the session where the issue happened:
That's a good point, here is a log file for a really short recording I did where the same issue happened.
Also I just noticed at the end there is a mention about a memory leak, I don't know if it is linked in anyway.

Attachments

• 2024-03-17 14-32-37.txt
    32.3 KB · Views: 8

rockbottom

There's no rendering lag but some encoding lag in 1 of the recordings, easy fix. For now change the Preset to P5 & Multipass to qres.

For the frame skipping, start by disabling HAGS & if possible set both monitors @ 60HZ, not 59.

Test, see if there's any improvement.

Just an FYI, the mic failed to start.
4:32:39.558: [win-wasapi: 'Mic/Aux'] update settings:
14:32:39.558: device id: {0.0.1.00000000}.{6f05c120-2717-4865-a713-3bc797895ead}
14:32:39.558: use device timing: 0
14:32:39.560: [Loaded global audio device]: 'Mic/Aux'
14:32:39.560: [WASAPISource::TryInitialize]:[{0.0.1.00000000}.{6f05c120-2717-4865-a713-3bc797895ead}] Failed to enumerate device: 80070490
14:32:39.560: WASAPI: Device '{0.0.1.00000000}.{6f05c120-2717-4865-a713-3bc797895ead}' failed to start (source: Mic/Aux)

wesh92

Game Mode can be enabled. I would also test Game & Window capture methods. Create a new Scene for each.
Thanks for your time and feedback man, I’ve been looking for a solution for a month already. I tried without hags in another session and it didn’t solve the issue unfortunately, same for game mode on or off made no difference. The only « fix » was to lock both games at 60 fps but I was looking for another way to fix this because I built my second pc hoping to get smooth recordings and be able to just set everything up once and forget but it doesn’t seem that way. Game capture instead of screen capture didn’t help,
I also tried messing with some nvidia control pannel settings but that didn’t help either.

qhobbes

Disable look-ahead, psycho visual tuning and set multipass to single pass. Those all use additional GPU.
Use Game or Window Capture. Don't use Display Capture unless you need to capture Windows stuff.

Both of your monitors are 59 Hz (probably 59.94 or something like that). You can't physically see 60+ FPS on those.

wesh92

Disable look-ahead, psycho visual tuning and set multipass to single pass. Those all use additional GPU.
Use Game or Window Capture. Don't use Display Capture unless you need to capture Windows stuff.

Both of your monitors are 59 Hz (probably 59.94 or something like that). You can't physically see 60+ FPS on those.
Somehow There must be a mistake in the log file because my main monitor is set to 120hz and the second to 60. Setting both to 120 made no difference, Game capture didn’t solve the issue either. By the way I noticed the same thing on gameplay videos on YouTube like this one for example https://youtu.be/9W-XkB4jlfk?si=NDGLBRt-d99bN4nv

Maybe this just doesn’t bother most people but if you’re like me and you like watching smooth gameplay well it can be annoying

rockbottom

Changing the encoding settings will do nothing.

The skipping is happening BEFORE the video even makes it to the encoder. New log when you get a chance.

rockbottom

Thanks for your time and feedback man, I’ve been looking for a solution for a month already. I tried without hags in another session and it didn’t solve the issue unfortunately, same for game mode on or off made no difference. The only « fix » was to lock both games at 60 fps but I was looking for another way to fix this because I built my second pc hoping to get smooth recordings and be able to just set everything up once and forget but it doesn’t seem that way. Game capture instead of screen capture didn’t help,
I also tried messing with some nvidia control pannel settings but that didn’t help either.

I cap nothing with my 3090, remove them. Let your 4090 loose. As a matter of fact set both monitors to 120 if 60 isn't an option.

Set everything in the Nvidia Control Panel back to Default for now. We can dig into that later if needed.

rockbottom

Looking at the specs for your monitors, are both hooked up using DP?

The ROG Swift is limited to 60HZ with HDMI but the TUF isn't, with HDMI max refresh is 144.

rockbottom

1710844340021.png

1710844379158.png

wesh92

here is a new log https://obsproject.com/logs/bjOE5e2qGGCYEOSR
and both monitors are connected through DP, I don't think this is linked to this because I once tried plugging my gamin PC only through my capture card and was watching the preview on my streaming PC and it still had the same problem.
Right now it's only buttery smooth through RECentral on my 2nd PC when the recording preset is at 120, and if I set the capture card to also send 120hz signal but if set to 60 it will start skipping frames again.
I will try to reach out to avermedia support maybe they will be able to find something

edit : by the way I'm really happy that you guys are trying to help eventhough this is a quite specific issue

rockbottom

HAGS must be disabled, it's known to cause trouble.

Leave the 2nd PC out of it for now. You haven't even posted a log for that system.

Has there been improvement on the 14900k/4090?

wesh92

Going back through the 2nd log, your audio (mic) is still failing.
audio doesn't matter to me on the main PC as I don't record my videos there. Overall I think this frame skipping thing is caused by unstable frametime with the fact the game is running at unlocked fps. I guess it can be fixed in future updates maybe. It still runs kinda fine IMO but the thing is it always looks worse on the recordings, playing at 120 fps and recording at 60 doesn't help at all in this kind of situation. As I said earlier I can record smoothly at 120 fps on RECentral on my 2nd computer but that's not convenient at all, OBS is where I have my scenes, camera and audio all set up.
The GTA 5 modded version I'm running is also quite unstable, there a lot of framerate fluctuations depending on what's going on on screen, locking it to 60 reduces those framerate jumps but again it really doesn't look that bad on my monitor then it does on the recordings when framerate is unlocked. Also, tried on latest OBS update 30.1.0 and issue is still occuring. Again, recording looks better if game is locked at 60 and the game runs a little better too but I find this to be a downside. I guess for now this is what I'm going to be doing when recording on those games. Those 10 to 15 additional frames per second I get when SSKTJL's uncapped are causing a whole lot of headache to be honest

rockbottom

"The GTA 5 modded version I'm running is also quite unstable, there a lot of framerate fluctuations"

Can't fix nothing when the source is bad, use a different game or video for testing.