Question / Help Fps drop when Game window is "Focused"

Harold

Remove display capture sources from any scenes where you use game capture.
Make sure the nvidia in-game overlay is OFF.
Post a screenshot of the first tab of GPU-Z.

Having the same issue - has happened before, usually after a windows update...
- Removed display capture for scenes with game capture
- nvidia in-game overlay is off

FPS when game window is in 'focus' drops from 60 to around 40 in the OBS panel, bottom right. (FPS drops even if I'm not streaming/recording)
In-game no issues and the recording (when I stream) is fine as well.
The stream is affected though.

I just noticed that the OBS version is not the latest. Please note that OBS needs to be manually updated on some previous versions as the auto-updater broke in one of the versions, I forget right now. Download the latest version from the site manually, update and report back what you find. Thanks!

I just noticed that the OBS version is not the latest. Please note that OBS needs to be manually updated on some previous versions as the auto-updater broke in one of the versions, I forget right now. Download the latest version from the site manually, update and report back what you find. Thanks!

I am running the latest build - it doesn't happen in every game though. Right now experiencing it in Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr
Previously I experienced it in Mordheim: City of the Damned as well...

According to your logfile you are running
OBS 21.1.0
, Current is 21.1.2 The Auto Updater in OBS 21.1.0 is Broken, you need to manually update...

BK-Morpheus

I must have overlooked the log file, when I replied yesterday. The log shows 29% render lag, so there is the very common problem of too much GPU load.
Since Windows seems to prioritize GPU resources for games, it's not the ingame FPS that suffers, but OBS has not enough GPU resources for rendering+scaling+filtering.

OrionG

Tried it all just now.
im now running 21.1.2
Geforce Experience is turned off
no display captures with game captures.

the problem still occurs.

In all honesty I am experiencing the same problems here on AMD RX480 using AMF Enc, this has been happening since the previous windows update, and more so since the latest creators update, Windows seems to be scheduling and prioritizing some games aggressively and some not so aggressively but either way it seems to be pulling resource availability from OBS during the games at runtime. I've reported this issue to MS, and the WDDM and scheduling group but I don't know when we'll see resolution... Since being in the forums last couple days I see so much of this issue going on right and no successful fixes.. which points to a much lower level problem...

Good Idea, Do what BK is asking and see. I'll try as well, although FRTC doesn't always work and neither does in-engine control sometimes, but I'll give it a shot. Speaking of which youu know the "Limit Frame Capture" setting in Game Capture...What exactly does it do? Thanks!

BK-Morpheus

But now we know, that the problem is simply GPU load.
To solve the issue, simply set your fps limit to 165Hz then and reduce game details/effects, until the GPU load never exceeds ~90% while gaming, so OBS has enough GPU resources left to render the scene fast enough.

If the system is not able to keep steady 165fps, you should decrease the fps limit, until there are no fps drops under the limit you've set.

Yes try that out, I will also and let you know. The games I'm trying though aren't that easily manipulated without VSYNC and I don't want to use it unless I have to, but VSYNC could really help keep the limit lower, and he's right also reduce heavy effects and post processing to ease the GPU load.

BK-Morpheus

Yes try that out, I will also and let you know. The games I'm trying though aren't that easily manipulated without VSYNC and I don't want to use it unless I have to, but VSYNC could really help keep the limit lower, and he's right also reduce heavy effects and post processing to ease the GPU load.
Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) can limit your ingame fps pretty easy, without the additional lag of Vsync.
MSI Afterburner comes with RTSS.