Question / Help Fps drop when Game window is "Focused"

OrionG

Hi, i stared experiencing a very weird issue.
OBS will run fine till i start a game.
when the game window is "Focused"/"Active" the FPS will drop to ~17fps, but if i Alt+Tab and focusing another window (while the game capture source still active in the background. the FPS seems fine @60fps.

I just upgraded my internet to 1000Mbit Download 100Mbit Upload.
my sys specs:
I7 8700k
32GB DDR4
GTX 1070

running dual monitors : Asus PG279Q (1440p @165Hz) & Samsung 1080 @ 60fps

it used to run just fine, it happens now when output is scaled to 1080/720 60/30fps.

Log:
Log File

Have you updated your video drivers? Also, is your 2K monitor NEW to your setup? You are asking a lot to scale from 2K on down, using X264... Have you tried using NVENC instead? This problem is experienced a lot when you are using a much higher resolution then scaling down, 1080P is fine, but 2K starts to head into trouble and will definitely drop frames in OBS when game is focused.

BK-Morpheus

Downscaling should not be an Issue. It's done via GPU, even if you encode via CPU (x264). The Scaling+Filters are done via GPU.
My GTX1070 + Ryzen 1700x have no problem downscaling 1440p to 1080p.
Maybe he is maxing out the GPU load (due to missing or very high FPS limit) so, OBS has not enough GPU power left for rendering/scaling. Most games reduce their fps, as soon, as they are not in focus, which would free up GPU resources for OBS. This usually can be tested by checking ingame fps while changing focus and checking the GPU load.

You might be right about that, but I know I experience the same issue as the OP when scaling down from 2K to 1080P, using my RX480 under AMF. But I've always blamed it on my i7 960 it often bottlenecks me for certain tasks. If you have any ideas, I'm open to them. Thanks!

OrionG

Are ingame FPS changing as well, when you change focus?

nothing unusual the setup did not change in the past month or so... used to work fine.

Have you updated your video drivers? Also, is your 2K monitor NEW to your setup
Yes i have (!!!!) and no i have this monitor for a while, used to streaming 720p @30fps or 640p @60fps.
now that you mention it i dont think i streamed after the driver update.

OrionG

Downscaling should not be an Issue. It's done via GPU, even if you encode via CPU (x264). The Scaling+Filters are done via GPU.
My GTX1070 + Ryzen 1700x have no problem downscaling 1440p to 1080p.
Maybe he is maxing out the GPU load (due to missing or very high FPS limit) so, OBS has not enough GPU power left for rendering/scaling. Most games reduce their fps, as soon, as they are not in focus, which would free up GPU resources for OBS. This usually can be tested by checking ingame fps while changing focus and checking the GPU load.

still this issue is NEW and did not happen a week ago.. nothing in the setup other then Graphics Drivers have change.
ill look into it.

OrionG

ok... 1st test.
changing focus does not seem to affect the monitor's FPS (game seems to still run @120~144Hz)

OrionG

guys... nothing have changed, i used to stream on a daily basis.
only the following changed:
1) windows updates
2) Nvidia drivers updates (and rolled back since)
3) my home network got a serious buff (used to be D:40Mb/s U:3 and now D:1000Mb/s U: 100)

i tried various OBS settings adjustments, and various