First 3-5 Seconds of Recording Corrupt

PhiDX

Sometimes, the first 3-5 seconds of my .mp4 recordings are corrupted. My workflow is direct-to-Youtube upload, so ideally I'd like to keep recording in the .mp4 format instead of going to .mkv.

My logfile is attached below, and this unlisted video shows the first 4 seconds of a still frame. In VLC player, it will either be green or pixelated.

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• 2024-01-05 21-12-06 CORRUPT START LOGFILE.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 15

koala

There is much you can do:
  • post a complete unchanged logfile, not just an excerpt. You cut potentially vital information
  • update to the most current version of OBS
  • remove all audio tracks except the one with your actual audio
  • see what happens with *.mkv and *.mkv upload to Youtube
  • use rate control CQP and CQ level 20 or use rate control CBR, but not VBR.
  • is the 4 second still image also in the original local video file, not just in the Youtube video?

PhiDX

There is much you can do:
  • post a complete unchanged logfile, not just an excerpt. You cut potentially vital information
  • update to the most current version of OBS
  • remove all audio tracks except the one with your actual audio
  • see what happens with *.mkv and *.mkv upload to Youtube
  • use rate control CQP and CQ level 20 or use rate control CBR, but not VBR.
  • is the 4 second still image also in the original local video file, not just in the Youtube video?
Thank you for your reply!
- Sorry I had no idea. I can reupload
- I can try this out
- I use a bunch of audio tracks in my production, this is the most minimal one
- I'll try out .mkv, thank you
- I'm currently juggling filesizes but will try out CQP. Is VBR & .mp4 known for these kinds of issues
- in the original video, it shows up as pixelization on VLC, and as green pixelization in Final Cut Pro

rockbottom

I would update OBS, there were issues with some older versions of OBS were the first frame being encoded was not an I Frame. You can check to see if that's the case with your recordings with Avidemux or FFMPEG.

koala

From your log:
09:42:39.355: warning: mjpeg_decode_dc: bad vlc: 0:0 (0000020BF240DA50)
09:42:39.355: error: error dc
09:42:39.355: error: error y=1 x=88
These errors indicate data errors from one of your capture devices. Usually a USB bandwidth issue. May have to do with your issue, but not necessarily.

Did you actually upload your recorded file 1:1 to Youtube without any postprocessing, or did you even minimal postprocessing such as cutting slack from the start of the recorded video? In case you cut away slack from the start, and you didn't make sure the first frame of the remaining video is an I-frame, you get a broken video until the first I-frame appears a few seconds into the video. Usually, video editors don't do this, but there are some who allow such low level editing (for example Avidemux is one of those, as far as I remember) that leave broken video due to cut I-frames.

rockbottom

Avidemux should not leave broken files when used correctly. Always cut on an I Frame. You have to do that anyway to remux, if not the file get re-encoded.