Filenames as default names for new sources (layers)

Servo de Cristo

It would be really nice, when adding new images as sources, if instead of OBS auto-naming them as "Image 1", "Image 2", "Image 3" and so on, they were named after the filename itself (maybe without the extension).

What a time-saving feature would it be! Scenes could get much better organized automatically, specially in cases like mine: I'm constantly adding lots of new images at each transmission. I broadcast prayer gatherings, and everyday I add dozens of new images that match what is being said by the host person. Sometimes I even improvise live, adding new images right from Google, lol... I end up with something like this:

upload_2017-5-17_22-16-47.png

A huge mess, as you can see! There's no time to rename each individual source layer in order to keep things clear and logic. I'm constantly muting/unmuting the sources to be able to know which is which, and which must go live NOW. The same thing for deleting unnecessary old images.

If filenames were used as the default source names -- woohoo! -- I would be a much happier guy! And I guess many other people too...

Tha same thing could apply to all kinds of media files (audio, video, playlists...). Maybe even to Slideshows, that could be named after their watchfolders.

I hope you consider this a good feature to be added in a future version of OBS.

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
This would be nice, but the immediate issue I see is that source name is set before you have chosen a file. The current process is Add > Image Source > Name the source > Choose the file, and there's not really an elegant way I see to reverse the last 2 steps without redoing the entire source-creation process.

Servo de Cristo

Hmm, I see...

Would it be possible to do do when dragging and dropping media straight from Explorer to the source list? I add most media this way, and don't have to get through all these steps.