Improvements to the mixer

Servo de Cristo

A collection of suggestions to improve the efficiency of our daily dwelling with audio devices, and make them operate like channels in a real/physical mixer.

Improvement #1: To be able to RENAME audio devices. I never know which one is the audio from Skype, or my microphone, or my media player etc (I use three different virtual cables at the same time).

maxresdefault.jpg

Improvement #2: Implementing grey audio meters for muted devices. For exemple: on the list below, the first muted device (Mic/Aux 2) refers to my audio player, which is actually playing out loud. But because it sounds through a virtual cable, I can't hear it in my headphones, and the only way to tell it is actually sounding are the OBS meters. Once I press the Mute button, I can no longer monitor it visually, because the meters are gone, as if I had faded the volume to minus infinite -- which is a different thing and has a different utility -- just like the third audio device, "Fonte de mídia (4)": in this case it is OK to have no green bars moving, because the volume has been completely faded down.

upload_2017-5-17_23-16-11.png

Improvement #3: Implementing a "Monitor on/off" button to each individual audio device. This way we could quickly enable/disable monitoring for each device or audio source, whithout having to open the mixer settings everytime we need to do so or to check the monitoring status. Wirecast, for instance, has a button beside the mute button in the master output that does exactly this. If the little headphone is white, monitoring is ON. If it's grey out, that means OFF.

upload_2017-5-17_23-21-29.png

Thank you guys fo this amazing peace of software, and for your attention to our requests!

[EDIT]

Just remembered another one! Doesn't have to do with the mixer exactly, but I think it fits well in this list:

Improvement #4: Audio sources could fade-out/crossfade along with video dissolves/cross-dissolves. This would produce much softer transitions between scenes, instead of rough-cutting the audio (to achieve this effect, I currently have to lower the volume manually while the scenes are changing).

Last edited:

Servo de Cristo

Hi there!
Any news about the audio mixer?

The lack of better audio handling in OBS is the only thing that still keeps me from completely abandoning Wirecast in all live streaming projects I'm engaged (and, God, I really wish to do so!). Other than that, OBS totally humiliates Wirecast in almost everything -- specially CPU demanding. I've also tested vMix, but let's be honest: no one deserves that alien interface, nor its strange ways to get things done. One has to be constantly searching or guessing where to find and how to set up the most basic features...

Once again, thank you all for providing this great software for free!

ytvideocreator

I would like to record skype in a sepparate track but using viritual audio cable is slow and annoying. could you possibly fix something built in that does the same thing? Thanks

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
With OBS v21 you can now rename devices by right-clicking on them in the mixer.

As for your other suggestions, I'll make sure they are added to the Big List.

Servo de Cristo

I would like to record skype in a sepparate track but using viritual audio cable is slow and annoying. could you possibly fix something built in that does the same thing? Thanks

Didn't get the 'recording on a separate track' part, but it would DEFINITELY be AMAZING to be able to add a 'Skype source' or something like that, and have both the audio I receive and the one I send, together in a single source, without the need to use virtual cables!! Is that possible???

One of the types of broadcast I do are live prayer meetings via YouTube: a group gathers via Skype to host the prayer event and I have to throw the conversation into OBS and mix it with images and music. It's really a pain having to set up three virtual cables to get stuff working properly. Sometimes the cables "mix up" in my head and my brain fries out, until I'm able to figure out what's wrong and fix it. Too many variables at the same time!

And it gets worse: I also have to TRAIN other people so that they too can transmit those meetings -- all kinds of people, from lazy teenagers to digitally-illiterate old ladies... can you imagine how fun? lol

But if God wants so, my suffering days are numbered, because the upcoming SKYPE SOURCE will save my neurons, together with the renamable audio sources and other improvements to the audio mixer... :)

Thanks!

Servo de Cristo

With OBS v21 you can now rename devices by right-clicking on them in the mixer.

As for your other suggestions, I'll make sure they are added to the Big List.

Since we're talking about a BIG LIST, here's another beautiful item* for it:

>> Enable 'MONITOR AND OUTPUT' by default on all audio sources. Not having this option set as default is cause for great torment and confusion if you work with several sources at the same time!

(* That's the last one for today, I promise!)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Unfortunately, that would come with its own set of problems, mainly when people are separately capturing the same device they have set as their monitoring device. For example, Many people are capturing their main speakers in order to capture audio from a game they are playing, but their speakers are also the device they have set as the device to output to when monitoring. We already detect if you try to enable monitoring on the device you have set as your monitoring device (which would cause a feedback loop), but suppose someone wanted to listen to their microphone so they could hear themselves while they talk. Then the microphone would be captured by the desktop audio as well as sent to the main stream, so it would be captured twice and cause an echo. So we've elected to leave monitoring off by default.

Servo de Cristo

Oh, that's true! I forgot about the echo issue... it would really be a disaster, sorry.

In that case, the improvement #3, suggested earlier in this topic, could perfectly circumvent the situation.

But now this idea has developed: instead of adding just the headphone icon to trigger monitoring on/off, there could also be an icon to enable/disable outputting that audio source (maybe something like this: https://d30y9cdsu7xlg0.cloudfront.net/png/405147-200.png )

This way those icons can work not only as triggers, but as visual status of the sources.

(sorry I broke my earlier promise)

Radix

A collection of suggestions to improve the efficiency of our daily dwelling with audio devices, and make them operate like channels in a real/physical mixer.

Improvement #3: Implementing a "Monitor on/off" button to each individual audio device. This way we could quickly enable/disable monitoring for each device or audio source, whithout having to open the mixer settings everytime we need to do so or to check the monitoring status. Wirecast, for instance, has a button beside the mute button in the master output that does exactly this. If the little headphone is white, monitoring is ON. If it's grey out, that means OFF.
View attachment 26799
Thank you guys fo this amazing peace of software, and for your attention to our requests!

I second the request for a better UI for Monitoring options. It's really awkward accessing Monitor Options now --- I end up having all sources (tens of sources) Monitor&Output which is a big cacaphony of sound in my ears, but it's so awkward to turn each off and on when not needed during the Live Broadcast.

The Audio department UI of OBS is very bare at the moment.

Improvement #6: A button to access Filters (Effects) for the Input

Improvement #7: A Compressor Gain Reduction Meter
This meter allows you to see exactly what the compressor is doing to the signal. It allows you to see how much the signal is being attenuated and when that attenuation happens. This is great for checking that your threshold, ratio, attack and release settings are resulting in the kind of compression that you would like. Having this visual insight is really useful for fine tuning these settings. Having these visuals helps you to make sure that gain reduction is applied only to the parts of the signal that you desire, in the way you want and to the extent that you want.

dasaweb

Improvement #2: Implementing grey audio meters for muted devices

The proposal is several years old, but unfortunately still not implemented. I know this behavior e.g. from Ableton and find it much nicer. It's much easier to keep track of which audio sources provide sound and which don't; at the same time you can see which are muted and which are not.
I haven't been working with OBS for long and have little experience with the forum here. What can be done to push such improvements?